Fighting the Forces of Entropy
Taking Stock
Psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has spent a good portion of his life studying the way creators create. One thing he notes is the process of creative flow that often emerges when an artist is in a passionate state while creating something--focus, clear vision, everything falls into place--you know the feeling. It's the one you get when you are in the groove, everything is clicking (whatever cliche you wish to use). It's the runner's high. The realization when you finally look at the clock that you have been doing something for hours and the time has "flown by," we would say.
It would be nice if we could always (or at least fairly regularly) be in that state of flow.
But . . .
Against our creative, adaptive selves, Csikszentmihalyi speaks of the forces of entropy that are constantly pulling at us--we know these forces, too--the ones that say over and over in our heads, "That couch looks soft, and cozy . . . oh, and really warm. And there is the remote. Ah, the couch, the remote, the TV. Hey, isn't there a football game on?"
Now, I have nothing against football and couches and TV remotes, but what is interesting about Csikszentmihalyi's research is that in all studies, people indicate that they are MUCH happier when working or exercising or running errands, than when they are sitting somewhere mindlessly vegetating. The kicker is that even though we know this, even though we know that we feel more alive and happier at WORK, studies show, that if given the choice, we would choose the couch every time.
The reality appears to be that even something we might love or really enjoy is not always fun; it often requires energy and discipline. And when we think we have to work at something, give it energy--suddenly we are like zombies chanting "TV, give me the TV."
With today's challenge, you will have completed 1/3 of the scheduled experience. If this challenge were compared to a school semester, we'd be at that point where the honeymoon is over, the class is not as interesting as we thought, the teacher has suddenly sprouted horns, and the work has piled higher than Mount Everest.
Let's take stock.
Let's remind ourselves why we might be doing this challenge. For those of you in the LCS 220 class, you might say, "I'm doing this because I have to. I am getting graded." And yes, that would be correct. But there are probably other reasons for this, too. You bravely signed up for a course devoted to creativity, in the first place. Something motivated you there, some passionate force fighting against your Zombie, couch-loving self. And these motivations are for you to decide. Motivation can't be faked to ourselves. We know if we are lying. So let's take stock. What's your motivation to do this challenge? Be honest.
For those who dove into the challenge, you might say, "I am doing this because I want to explore my creative self or challenge myself or because I am crazy and I really need to think more carefully about looking before I leap." :-/ But you might also be doing this for reasons related to other goals and objectives: because you want to, because you like the idea of playing, because you want to find an outlet for that part of you that loves to create.
In any case, we may be at that point where we have to remind ourselves of these motivations because I think the Zombies are coming out of the graveyard, waving the remote. And the Housewives are on. I even think I saw one with a bag of popcorn. I am pretty sure I can smell it. There goes another with a warm blanket and a glass of chocolate milk. Hmmm, Brains.
So here we go:
It would be nice if we could always (or at least fairly regularly) be in that state of flow.
But . . .
Against our creative, adaptive selves, Csikszentmihalyi speaks of the forces of entropy that are constantly pulling at us--we know these forces, too--the ones that say over and over in our heads, "That couch looks soft, and cozy . . . oh, and really warm. And there is the remote. Ah, the couch, the remote, the TV. Hey, isn't there a football game on?"
Now, I have nothing against football and couches and TV remotes, but what is interesting about Csikszentmihalyi's research is that in all studies, people indicate that they are MUCH happier when working or exercising or running errands, than when they are sitting somewhere mindlessly vegetating. The kicker is that even though we know this, even though we know that we feel more alive and happier at WORK, studies show, that if given the choice, we would choose the couch every time.
The reality appears to be that even something we might love or really enjoy is not always fun; it often requires energy and discipline. And when we think we have to work at something, give it energy--suddenly we are like zombies chanting "TV, give me the TV."
With today's challenge, you will have completed 1/3 of the scheduled experience. If this challenge were compared to a school semester, we'd be at that point where the honeymoon is over, the class is not as interesting as we thought, the teacher has suddenly sprouted horns, and the work has piled higher than Mount Everest.
Let's take stock.
Let's remind ourselves why we might be doing this challenge. For those of you in the LCS 220 class, you might say, "I'm doing this because I have to. I am getting graded." And yes, that would be correct. But there are probably other reasons for this, too. You bravely signed up for a course devoted to creativity, in the first place. Something motivated you there, some passionate force fighting against your Zombie, couch-loving self. And these motivations are for you to decide. Motivation can't be faked to ourselves. We know if we are lying. So let's take stock. What's your motivation to do this challenge? Be honest.
For those who dove into the challenge, you might say, "I am doing this because I want to explore my creative self or challenge myself or because I am crazy and I really need to think more carefully about looking before I leap." :-/ But you might also be doing this for reasons related to other goals and objectives: because you want to, because you like the idea of playing, because you want to find an outlet for that part of you that loves to create.
In any case, we may be at that point where we have to remind ourselves of these motivations because I think the Zombies are coming out of the graveyard, waving the remote. And the Housewives are on. I even think I saw one with a bag of popcorn. I am pretty sure I can smell it. There goes another with a warm blanket and a glass of chocolate milk. Hmmm, Brains.
So here we go:
- Take out your water colors and create another wash. Your color, your choice.
- Create a graffiti-style page that maps out your real motivations. Why are you doing this? What do you hope to gain? What are your goals and desires? If no one else were to watch you work, see your images, respond to your pages, would you still be doing this? Why? (or why not?) What is your internal motivation to keep at this? Be honest about where you are right now.
- Think about a word/phrase that encapsulates your motivation, your goal. What would that word be for now? Discipline? Passion? Practice? Getting over the Hump? Diving into the Deep End of the Pool? Make sure the phrase or word plays a prominent role on your graffiti page, so you can go back to see what you were thinking on October 11, 2014.
Make sure to send those goals and objectives along to me! thassele@bryant.edu.
What I really enjoyed about this activity was that I had a focus to think about and I essentially created my entire piece around that, so I had a centerpiece to build around.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed thinking about what affects my motivation and playing with that on the page, and being able to use watercolors was enjoyable. I like playing with color with watercolors.
ReplyDeleteThings I try to remember: It doesn't have to be pretty. It doesn't have to be perfect. Mistakes are interesting.
ReplyDeleteI had some difficulty with this piece as I'm not really familiar with graffiti art or different styles of it. I'd love to learn more.
ReplyDeleteMy mind is currently all over the place and I let that be seen in this piece. I loved creating different colors with the watercolor and letting my emotions show through in what I was creating.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge really made me think about how I feel about this project. I was hesitant at first to mix certain colors but in the end I was happy I did.
ReplyDeleteI liked being really creative with this activity. I used my color pencils and doodled all over the page. I had to research what graffiti was all about in order to start! Once I got a pencil in my hand I just let my creativity flow!
ReplyDeletethis activity was very fun and I got to use watercolors again which I enjoyed. I enjoyed thinking about my motivation towards this class and the 30 day challenge. It will be interesting to look back at this challenge down the road.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this activity because there was little direction so we really had the opportunity to paint freely. I just let my emotions flow throughout the page.
ReplyDeleteMy word I felt was "driven" I happened to be in the library and studying and I felt very motivated to accomplish a lot. I used a dark and light color to show contrast of my graffiti letters.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was different. When I think graffiti, I think spray paint or deep colored markers that bleed. I always associate watercolors with softer images. It was interesting to create graffiti with this medium. It was also difficult to create images of my goals, but I liked having the time to reflect.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this challenge because we were able to work with watercolors again. I loved that this challenge compelled me to reflect on what motivates me.
ReplyDeleteThere was a lot of freely expressing yourself in this challenge! Water colors are fun but I really don't enjoy them. It was fun to just sit back and reflect off your life and where you want to go.
ReplyDeleteI liked this challenge because it was more clear and easy to understand! The water colors tend to get a little messy in my room but I still enjoy it! Overall good challenge!
ReplyDeleteIt definitely is easing to get caught up in the stress of doing something and forgetting why you're doing it. I chose to focus on the word "determination" because nothing worth accomplishing can be done without it. It was difficult to create graffiti out of watercolors and I wasn't sure how to do it but I'm sure with some practice my graffiti will look better.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was quite relaxing to me. It was the first time that I didn't really put much thought into it, but instead I just went for it. I chose to use the word "explore" because I am really enjoying exploring my creativity and all that it has to offer.
ReplyDeleteI loved this assignment, too! I really enjoy using the watercolors and it felt easy completing this assignment while watching a TV show on my laptop. I used the word "free" to show what I'm feeling while completing this challenge and to show what I want to be in the future. A bit cliche, yet it encompasses things that are also intangible in mind. I hope to work with watercolors in the future again.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was a good way to let loose what was in my mind. there's a lot going on now a days and this was a good release.
ReplyDeleteThis was a nice challenge to remind myself why I am doing this everyday (besides getting graded) and what I hope to accomplish from it.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed creating a visuarepresentation of my future. I love working with water colors.
ReplyDeleteI really liked this challenge because it made me reflect upon myself and my life and what inspires me to do things. I mapped my challenge around the work integrity because I believe it is something I try to implement in life. I love working with watercolor so that is also another reason why I liked this challenge.
ReplyDeleteI kept mine pretty simple, but I wrote down the thoughts behind it (just in case I forget why I wrote what I did...but i doubt I will). This challenge was very reflective for me, and I found it really relaxing.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge really made me reflect on the challenge and on myself. I enjoyed this challenge.
ReplyDeleteI really liked how personal this challenge was and how it made you think about your goals in completing the sketchbook challenge.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge made was really fun. I liked looking back and thinking about what my motivation was when I started this class, and what it is now that the first month and 1/2 has passed. I also enjoyed the graffiti aspect of the challenge, mine looks like a 5 year old made it but I kind of like it like that.
ReplyDeleteI loved incorporating my goals and motivations into this art activity where I got to add water colors and graffiti. Although it took me a little while to get started in this activity considering I had to brainstorm a list of my goals, it was really enjoyable once I knew how I wanted to design the page.
ReplyDeleteI liked the way this activity really made me think about why I value the sketchbook project. The one thing that came to my mind was viewing the sketchbook as a "creative outlet". It is a place where taking risks and trying new methods in assignments is actually promoted and rewarded.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this activity. I really like using water colors. When I think of graffiti, I generally think of spray paint and deep colors. I had to Google it because I had a mental model of what graffiti looked like but I wanted to take a closer look at how the letters were shaped and how artists use color to accentuate letters.
ReplyDeleteThis assignment was really fun because it involved graffiti and water color. These aspects of art has really been something I have enjoyed, so the combination of the two was exciting. The reflection part was insightful because it made me really think of why I am doing this challenge apart from it being graded for me.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this activity, it took me a while to think of one word to describe myself but I chose Pride. This was one of my favorite sketches so far.
ReplyDeleteAny art work that requires me to use my own inspiration is one that I enjoy. Because it really was all up to me how this piece went I found it to be one that was fun.
ReplyDeleteLoved this activity because I really enjoy working with watercolors
ReplyDeleteI had difficulty with this one. I'm bad at letting and really have no idea what i want to achieve.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was hard for me because it was difficult to pick a word to focus my graffiti on.
ReplyDeletethis challenge was interesting, i had a good time with it becasue i like using the water colored paints
ReplyDeleteI didn't really like this challenge because it took a long time to color the whole page and I'm not very good at painting so it was hard to do something unique
ReplyDeleteI really struggle with the mistakes on a page. I try to remember that mistakes aren't always a bad thing and that I should use them to make a creation better. I think that I need to try to be less focused on making it pretty and perfect. At the end, I just want to be able to own what I've done and be proud of it.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was quite long but I managed to complete it. I will say discipline is the word that encapsulates my motivation which was soccer.
ReplyDeleteIt took me time to think of a word to project who I am, maybe even more time then painting the page. It was a fun activity and always enjoy working with graffiti.
ReplyDeleteThis one was interesting. I put some more thought into this before actually creating the sketch. I always enjoy working with watercolors.
ReplyDeleteI love these types of sketch book challenges because they offer a period of self reflection. The word I chose, "glory" encapsulates what I am trying to achieve during my college experience. It is my motivation.
ReplyDeletethis activity was a lot of fun and offered a lot of flexibility in what I could do. My phrase was "Drive for Success".
ReplyDeleteMy word was 'innovate' and I liked making the graffiti styled text, and using watercolors to make the word really pop off the page.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed working with the water colors but I found trying to draw graffiti-styled letters really hard! I chose the word creativity because this class really lets me explore and express my own creativity
ReplyDeleteThis challenge made was very different to me. he graffiti part of the challenge was my favorite part, because I think it visually brought out my sketch
ReplyDeleteMy phrase was go with the flow as i feel like this is the only way i would tend to create a habit
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was a little difficult for me, I have never done any sort of graffiti art before. It also took me a while to figure out one phrase that encapsulates my motivation.
ReplyDeleteI really loved this challenge because I have never really thought about what motivates me and it was a nice thing to think about.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was fun because it made me realize what my goals are and things that motivate me. Instead of a word I used a used my favorite quote that really inspires me and reminds me to always be happy.
ReplyDeleteAt first this challenge was hard since I didn't know which word or phrase to use, but then one phrase stand out from the rest. I liked how graffiti was used in this particular challenge since it represents a rebellious and motivating type of art.
ReplyDeletethis was a pretty difficult challenge mainly trying to figure out what my reason were. but other than that it was pretty cool
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this activity because it was like brainstorming whatever came to your mind. Moreover, by using different fonts, font sizes and directions, it actually looked pretty cool. I mostly made use of different sharpies and predominantly used the colour black with a nice light wash as a background.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if my comments are actually posting, but I was thinking about what word comes to mind when doing any of these challenges and I could only come up with deeper. I keep thinking to myself, I need to dig deeper to come up with creative sketches.
ReplyDeleteI loved this challenge, instead of a word, I chose a quote that I live by. Very special challenge
ReplyDeleteThis was one of my favorite challenges. I enjoy doing graffiti and looking for motivational quotes.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite challenges. I am not the best graffiti artist, but drawing my thoughts on life came real to me. It was easy to show the way I think about a lot of things within this one piece.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge is one I think I will revisit, as the final product did not turn out quite as I was planning. I think I could do a bit different font for the large word and it would turn out nicely. I tried to tie in brown and green to create a similar effect as moss does on the ground.
ReplyDeleteThis was a simple challenge, the hardest part was thinking of what motivates me. Simple but reflective.
ReplyDeleteThe reflective part of this assignment was the hardest part for me as well, but the flow came to me pretty well and I enjoyed the graffiti art!!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this challenge. The phrase that I chose was "practice" because I feel like I am still practicing how to really express my creativity everyday through these challenges.
ReplyDeleteI liked this assignment a lot. I picked the word PASSION to use and made the letters smaller as the page went on.
ReplyDeleteI LOVED this challenge because it exemplified why I love art- for expression. I was able to make a colorful watercolor background with a plain black and white lettering
ReplyDeleteI had to come back to this one for multiple reasons. I had skipped over it before because I really had to do a self evaluation on what was my motivation in this class. The word that keeps coming to my mind is peace. I thought this class would bring me a sense of peace; the calm before the storm which is the rest of my life. It was nice to finally sit down to draw that word.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this assignment because I got to use script for my graffiti; a type of writing that I do not get to use very often.
ReplyDeleteFor something that motivates me, I chose to use the crest of my favorite soccer team. I admire the Arsenal football club symbol because it reminds me of the never dying spirit the team possesses to fight for success. I also enjoyed using water color to do this challenge
ReplyDeleteI loved this Challenge. I found that working with the color waters made the graffiti really pop. I picked the word Mixed, while using a mix of colors and styles.
ReplyDelete