Thursday, October 2, 2014

Challenge #2: The October 3 Challenge

Making sure our sketchbooks can find their way home to us!



Street Art from Fall 2013
Bryant University


I have been receiving your excellent images and reading through your comments.  Please feel free to join in the conversation.  Students in LCS220 are commenting on a regular basis, and we encourage the faculty, staff and students, who are also participating, to follow their lead and join in. We want to know what you are thinking, too.


If you find that you are having trouble posting, you may need to follow the prompt that comes up when you try to post. It offers you two options--to set up a google profile or a blogger profile. If you follow the blogger profile option, it will take you back through the process and then allow you to post. It takes only a moment to follow it, but it will erase what you initially wrote so either cut/paste what you wrote on the blog to save it or start the writing in WORD and cut/past into the comment box.


If you have any problems, please send me an email.


I will start posting some of your images tomorrow, so you can see how our images are developing.


In the meantime, let's move on to Challenge #2


A lot of artists and journallers accidentally misplace their journals/sketchbooks.  Nothing feels worse than losing something that you have invested time, energy and, often, creative angst in.


So we will make a title page or a "find your way home page."
  • Give your journal a name, and print it on the next page. It can be an actual name or it could be a nickname or it could be a title of sorts. Color it, block letter it, draw designs around it. Think graffiti or calligraphy or whatever lettering inspires you.
  • Now give it a home address--make sure your actual address is on the page: "If lost, please return me to ----."
  • Add, as well, a fantastical location, your dream location for the ideas and words and images you are working with to return to.
  • Now doodle, color, and jot images to make the page pop. Again, think street art or some other design approach that you like.
An example:


Dear kind person who has found me sitting alone, unattended and sad.


Thank you for picking me up and trying to figure out where I belong. My careless creator has left me  abandoned.


I am Terri Hasseler's sketchbook (Faculty Suite A, Bryant University, Smithfield, RI). My pages can go there, but my ideas belong on the moon, where all Terri's best ideas come from.


I appreciate your returning me--to Terri, not the moon, since the postage would be excessive.


Sincerely,
Lunar Observations (aka The Sketchbook)




I chose to work with the epistolary form (a letter). I could design the page to look like an old-fashioned USPS letter -- anachronistically caught in our world of cell phones and instagram.


You could work with a twitter feed or creatively arranged and styled words that merge fanciful lettering with images. A moon floating through the page, for instance.


Now, your turn.  Make sure your journal can find its way home.


Share your thoughts! And images with me. I will post these in the next few days: thassele@bryant.edu




72 comments:

  1. This challenge was a lot easier for me because I could look at the page. I created a tweet for the person to return my sketchbook. It was fun to do graffiti again I haven't drawn graffiti letters since middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I named my sketchbook planet Earth. I think this page is more of a work in progress and it will continue to expand over the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this sketch more than the first one. It was more relaxing because I could just sketch whatever I wanted on the page. I liked that we named our sketch books, I think by doing this we feel more connected to our sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided to call my sketchbook The Beach Bum because being at the beach and relaxing is one of my favorite things to do! I had a lot of fun doing this activity. It was fun to use lots of color and be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I decided to call my sketchbook "lifesaver" because I'm an ocean lifeguard and belong on the beach! This activity was creative and made our sketchbooks unique, reminding me of my home. It makes the sketchbook less bland with a little color and name. Plus this assignment was much easier then the first considering you got to look at the page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This challenge was definitely a lot more fun because I was able to control what I wanted to draw. I liked this specific drawing because I think graffiti looks really cool and I have never done a piece of art in the form of graffiti. I named my sketchbook South Side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was much more relaxed while creating this challenge compared to the first one since I was able to look at the paper I was drawing on. This assignment gives our sketch books more meaning and value. My sketch book is now unique with its own name. Also, graffiti is a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When starting this page, I really wasn't sure where to go with it. So I followed the letter idea and tried to come up with something. I found it difficult to think of where to go with the letter but I did enjoy writing something in my sketchbook. And I like using my watercolors to add color to the page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this challenge because we could get creative with it, but the hardest part was definitely picking a name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this post challenging when dealing with stylizing our page, as i can't simply draw in graffiti style (or any style really). I found naming the book to be the most enjoyable part of the process, as there really are no predetermined methods of naming paper products.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This assignment definitely had more wiggle room on what we could draw/ write because it wasn't solely focused on drawing a self-portrait. Drawing for this challenge brought me back to when I was younger and made my toys and objects animated with personalities and names. My notebooks name is Scribbles since my art is a bunch of lines and scribbles that sometimes make a picture and sometimes don't!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this challenge more relaxing and enjoyable than the previous one. I was able to freely express my creativity. I also liked that I was able to work with multiple art utensils. This challenge was definitely more open to interpretation, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This challenge was a little more difficult for me because I don't have the neatest handwriting and I didn't want to mess up my sketchbook. However, I did like doodling around the edges and how we had free reign to sketch whatever comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was fun and I should have budgeted more time for the assignment. I would have liked to design it like a ransom note with cut out letters. But, it was great fun to write the message and invite the finder to join in the fun to paging through the sketchbook and imagining what the book is all abou

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed this challenge. It took a little time for me to figure out what to name my sketch book and to decide how I wanted to decorate the page. I ended up writing a Facebook status from my sketch book. This challenge was a lot more fun and much more relaxing than the first challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed doing this activity because I felt that I had more control over the page. I loved working with graffiti letters and designing the page to fit my personality.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked this sketch because I could use my creativity to the fullest as a person. I chose to decorate my page as a tennis court, as I am on the tennis team here at Bryant. I felt a lot more at ease too with this sketch than the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i loved this challenge because i was able to be creative and abstract at the same time. I just drew what came to mind and it ended up being pretty cool in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This challenge was great! I used various different colors to be creative ! I like the way it turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked being able to be creative, but had trouble figuring out where to start and what to actually draw. I ended up doing some really colorful geometric patterns and incorporating the quote that says "Earth without art is just EH." I thought it was really relaxing and spent more time one it then I thought I would. I left a message for the finder to leave their own mark on the pages because I think that it should help more then just me be creative. I hope more of the challenges are more like this and less restricting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know this is only the second challenge but it is my favorite at the moment! I got the chance to be free and let my creativity flow. It is amazing what you can come up with when you really put your imagination to work. I felt as if I was transported back in time to my childhood when I would come up with the best story-lines for my stuff animals and Barbie dolls. I think I came up with a pretty darn good back story for my journal!
    ~Desire' Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was a fun sketchbook challenge quite different than the one yesterday. It was fun to play around when choosing the name and how to decorate. Definitely had fun making a page and giving my sketchbook its own personality.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed this challenge a lot. I was able to take all the craft supplies I have in my room and throw them all onto this page to make it me. I hope I never lose my book but if I ever do and someone finds it I think they'll enjoy the story I left in it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This challenge was more difficult than the last for me since the parameters for the artwork were very flexible. It did give me the chance to experiment with new mediums and work to create an identity for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed doing this assignment. It was much easier because I could look at the page. I did not know where to start. The hardest part was creating a title. liked this challenge better than the last one because I got to be more creative in what I drew. I used a lot of patterns in my title page.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was a lot of fun to do! I had so many ideas in my head, but finally settled with one.I created a page the resembles a pokedex. My sketchbook is like my database collection for drawings. It records my ideas/sketches that are use for this sketchbook challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I found this activity to be really fun. It also felt great to know that what I was writing might make someone smile if they were to ever found my lost sketchbook. In contrast to the face activity yesterday, this assignment seemed more controlled and silly, it made me feel like a happy kid in an art class, which is something I didn't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Creating a title page was a lot easier for me to do. I felt like I had more instructions, yet I was still able to be creative. I liked the idea of giving my sketchbook a personality.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really enjoyed this challenge because I really got to express myself. I love to doodle so this assignment was perfect for me! The hardest part of this challenge was figuring out what to call my sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This challenge was much easier than the first! Creating the title page was really fun to do. While we were given instructions, they were flexible enough to allow us to explore our own creativity and be silly, and give our sketchbook a personality. Deciding on the name for my sketchbook was definitely the hardest part of the assignment

    ReplyDelete
  31. Though this challenge was must easier because you could see what you're drawing and you could plan it out strategically, nevertheless, it took me forever to decide what I wanted and how I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really enjoyed this challenge because I was able to draw whatever I wanted and have fun with the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This assignment was really enjoyable because I appreciated being able to take things I care about and incorporate them into the sketch. I liked adding personality to the sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I enjoyed doing this activity because it gave me a chance to add a personality and an identification. Now it really looks like my own sketchbook and flipping back to the page occasionally will always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really liked this assignment. I liked it because it allowed for two forms of creativity, the creation of the name and the final image of the name. It gave my book an image, that matched my personality and thoughts towards this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I found this assignment fun because the possibilities were endless. With endless possibilities came a writer's block, trying to decide which idea I liked best.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really liked this idea, it was fun having a name for my book which I will consistently be using for the next 30 days. I could also see the difference of where I currently live to where I want to live. I used a name from a movie "hulk" I copied it in the book and just modified it as I always wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This activity was fun. I loved the concept of integrating a missing statement and including the home address. It was not as challenging as the first but it was surely fun.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This activity was quite straightforward and much less of a challenge. The idea of leaving a message on important stuff like a journal or sketch book is always important for when it is misplaced. I also enjoyed writing in block letters because its actually one of my favorite things to do when I'm bored.
    Truly a fun task, on to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This was a pretty unique but relaxing sketch and was actually pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I enjoyed doing this personalized page because it will be helpful, in case I really do misplace my sketch book. I decided to make my theme of an igloo just because I have never seen an igloo and its' the only thing I like about cold weather. Maybe someday I can go in an igloo, that would be fun:). I hate winter.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I found this challenge much more enjoyable than the first one because I was allowed to look at the page when i was drawing. I felt like I had more of an opportunity to execute this page the way I wanted it to look as opposed to the random comings of the other challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I decided to use the letter format and created a name for my sketch book. I kept it rather clean and plain because I felt that reflected me as an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I found this activity pretty entertaining as I could sketch freely and it did not have too many guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I really enjoyed this assignment because I could be as creative as I wanted when it came ot naming my sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I found this assignment very fun to do because it helped me find my creative side of me. I decorated my name with things I like to do in my free time, and I thought it turned out very neat

    ReplyDelete
  48. Being one who usually enjoys having a set of rules to stay within, I found the beginning of this challenge hard because it really was a make it your own kind of thing. Nothing to go off just my own creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This activity was relaxing and fun, great activity for imagination and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  50. This activity was super fun compared to rhe last activity! I enjoyed looking for a funny name to name my sketchbook, and painting random stuff all over the page.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This activity was great because there are no rules and the fact that it is unique to everyone. When we get to class it will be really cool to see what everyones book cover will look like!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I really enjoyed myself on this activity. It was very relaxing and fun. I love when i get the chance to be be creative. A lot less challenging but it was still very entertaining..

    ReplyDelete
  53. I decided to name my sketchbook Delilah, in reference to the song "Hey There Delilah." Since I think of the name to be very girly, I drew roses and had a good time playing around with different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Because I felt that our sketchbooks were announcements to others, I named mine Communique. I took my time with this sketchbook challenge because of the official newspaper-like lettering I went with.

    ReplyDelete
  55. This sketchbook activity was a lot of fun. I got to use my own creativity and ideas to draw my name how I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I really could not get creative with this. Mine ended up being all text with what you wanted us to include. I do like the latin name I picked for my sketchbook, "Sanorum". (It literally means sketchbook)

    ReplyDelete
  57. This challenge was a lot easier. The part that made it the most easy was the fact that I have been writing my address since I was little, so it is something that I have done again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I really enjoyed this challenge. It made me sit and think about all the things that means the most to me in my life and what I would want this page to say about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I liked this challenge more than the last one. I liked how we were free to draw what we want and what ever came to mind. Mine came out a little strange but I like it and makes it more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I loved this challenge because it allowed me to be more creative- I had much less of a limitation as to what I could do. Giving my book a name made me feel more connected to it as well as more possessive of it.

    ReplyDelete
  61. This challenge was very fun and interesting and I enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  62. I really liked this challenge because I was able to draw what I wanted and be more creative. I liked how I was able to name my sketchbook and not having any guidelines as for how it was supposed to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  63. This challenge was my favorite! Especially because I didn’t use colored pencils, but I use markers. I love using markers because the color is vivid and you don’t have to build on it. Also, I liked how much creativity I could put into it. I was bounded by too many rules or limits. I decided to create a swirly land where my artistic ideas come from. I even chuckled at my clever writing. I almost wish that I lose my sketchbook because that way someone will have to doodle in it!

    ReplyDelete
  64. This challenge was fun because not only did I get to come up with a catchy name for my sketch book, Big Boy Bible, there was a huge independently creative aspect to the assignment. I got to incorporate my favorite place in the world, which is my home, the island of Martha's Vineyard, and I got to decorate the cover page with whatever I wanted. I chose to use images of some of my favorite things such as lacrosse, the ocean, sharks, and the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I feel as though I did not have great inspiration with naming my journal however I got the information I needed to onto the paper. I may revisit the page if i come up with more ideas to add to it, but as of now I do not know what I could add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I liked the fact that I could now look down at the page as I drew. I also enjoyed how fun and free the project was. Lastly I really enjoyed being able to write in bubble letters(Something I haven't really done since middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I like how this activity gave my sketchbook a personality and that I could go any direction I wanted with it.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I loved this challenge. I grabbed inspiration from Paris, France even though I have never been. I have a passion for fashion, so I chose to name my sketchbook L'artiste de la Moda. I feel this activity reflects who I am and it was fun to create it.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Even though I didn't love my final sketch, I really enjoyed this challenge because I was able to doodle and draw whatever I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I liked this because I could do what I wanted too

    ReplyDelete
  71. At first I was confused as to what it was supposed to look like or what was being asked, but then i realized it is just what we really wanted. So overall, I enjoyed this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Very important assignment since it allows people to know who the sketchbook belongs to and allows you to add a funny personal note.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.