Friday, October 3, 2014

Challenge #3: The October 4 Challenge

Building a Dr. Seuss Doodle, Loosening Up our Expectations

© Grandmaisonc | Dreamstime.com - Cats Photo

In the LCS 220 class, we have been talking a lot about how creators create--either through a structural or organic approach.

In a structural approach, the creator has a working idea of where she intends to go, and maps out a series of steps to get there. The goal is to set up a workable (not perfect) goal and practice getting there by generating logical or reasonable steps that might take you from point A (where you are right now/your current reality) to point B (the completed project/the creation).  Robert Fritz speaks eloquently about this approach in his many works, but especially in Your Life as Art.

This summer, Professor Maura Dowling (Finance) and I were fortunate enough to attend one of his workshops specifically designed for creators.

What Fritz emphasizes is that all creators work with a goal in mind. It is their relationship to their goal that might vary. Composing a symphony requires a more structural approach, whereas doodling might be less structural. An architect, thank goodness, would likely work more structurally--planning for safety and the purpose of the building. From this, the architect would work with perspective and planning.

However, another approach, a more organic developmental process, is also driven by a goal. Some people start with a design of a home, for instance, that they will build (say, a two-story farmhouse), but the home might morph and change in response to new needs. Fritz talks about this when he speaks of the idea of the old-fashioned farmhouse that had rooms and additions attached to the initial structure, as new needs emerge--a child is born, a worker needs a bedroom, etc. The goal is still to build a house, but it develops in a more organic fashion.

I often think of Dr. Seuss's architecture when I reflect on this idea. His creative and elaborate, and impossible, structures that hold his fabulous creatures.

Both the architect and Dr. Seuss create "buildings," but their methodologies and purpose are very different.

For today's challenge, you are going to develop your doodling skills. The goal is to employ an organic methodological approach to achieve a result.
  • Put your pencil/pen on the page and draw one continuous line.
  • Do not cross over any of your lines, but keep drawing until you are satisfied with how much you have filled the page.
  • When done, see if any shapes emerge: do you see trees or animals or a face?
  • Go back into your doodle and start working with these images to emphasize them, to see if you find some theme emerging out of these lines you have created. Does a city develop, a landscape?
  • Use your color pencils to fill in the shapes and the outlines, to make the page pop. 
  • Add whatever lines you wish to at this point to further emphasize the theme you see developing.
  • Think Dr. Seuss here. Aim for wonderful, elaborate, bizarre shapes that read as something (house, face, tree) but don't necessarily replicate the actual, the real.
Acknowledgements: My inspiration for this sketch comes from a book by Sue Bleiweiss, The Sketchbook Challenge: Techniques, Prompts, and Inspiration for Achieving Your Creative Goals. This idea comes from a part of her book on "loosening up." Remember that Sphinx Moth I mentioned in the first blog--the moth that has to rev its engines fully to fly? If it doesn't, it can sink and drown. Let's work at loosening up, revving up, and playing. Also, I am inspired by Dr. Seuss and his imaginative approach to shape--making something readable as the thing (tree) but not as the actual (a real tree). 

Some Examples from your fellow sketchers!

Megan mentioned that it felt great to channel
her inner 12 year old and work with stickers.

Allison's creative response for her journal to find its way home.

Professor Kuhlman's beautiful cover.


Katie's letter to the good soul who finds her journal.

Miti's contour line, self-portrait.


Danah's zentangled title page.

Have fun and keep sharing your images and commenting on the blog. I will keep posting new examples and ideas coming from the community participating in the challenge.

73 comments:

  1. This activity was fun to just let my hand be free and creative. When I started doodling lines I soon saw myself forming roads and the vision came to me. I went back in with different color pencils to make colorful roads. I also started to connect my roads with one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This assignment was fun because we could be as creative as we wanted and it was up to us what we wanted to see within the lines we created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this assignment because it really made you see things that you wouldn't normally notice. After I drew my continuous line, I really needed to use my creativity to see something. my lines were curvy so when I was done I saw an elephant playing with water. I was surprised that I came up with that image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this challenge because I felt like it brought out my inner child! It was really interesting to see what images I had created within that one line that I had started with. I used color to really make these images pop! Overall it was a really fun challenge that I enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this challenge to leave me with very little to work with once my line was constructed. I didn't see any obvious shapes or landscapes, etc., but this made it more fun, because I was forced to think even more creatively in order to get anything remotely recognizable. Thankfully the abstractness of Dr.Seuss made this a little bit easier, as the rules were stretched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what people have posted prior to me. It was a challenge to see an object with what I drew. But then I looked at a different angle and saw a rooster. I colored it in to make it easier to visualize and then I was satisfied with the doodle and it looked as if My first intention was indeed to draw a rooster, when in actuality I was just drawing a continuous random line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great exercise. As I drew the shapes, I had originally thought of a plane-just two dimensions. Then, as I was coloring, I thought of this as an origami piece. What would happen if I cut it out and began folding? I could create another structure--actually many of them. I am pretty certain I have sketched an unseaworthy ship for a different sort of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I started this activity, the page was filled with random doodles that I was having trouble piecing together. As I kept drawing, shapes soon started to form and my doodles started turning into objects. I outlined these shapes and objects with a black sharpie and colored them in to make them stand out of the page. I loved how creative I could get with this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After completing this challenge I did not have anything on my mind influencing me to draw any specific shapes or pictures; however after drawing the continuous line and really looking into the shapes it created I depicted certain shapes and pictures on my page. It is not perfect like the tree that was mentioned previously about Dr. Seuss however, you can tell it is a certain object.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never thought I will be able to draw something without copying an image or observing something. I enjoyed this challenge the most as it was fun drawing random lines and then in fact making shapes and animals out of them. As it was the theme was Dr. Seuss, I couldn't help but play with colours. I was about to make the bird black, grey or something neutral, but the theme made me use all the colours for the bird, making it more lively and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked this challenge because it gave me somewhere to start which is usually my problem. Once I noticed my theme in the line I drew it was easy to start coloring and drawing other lines to create an actual scene.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This assignment was so fun! I am always doodling on pages so to sit down and give some time specifically to this was enjoyable. It was also cool to be able to interpret the different images that emerged.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a lot of fun with this challenge. I loved starting with one line and letting my hand just move across the page without even thinking. Also, I found it surprisingly easy to interpret what I drew and create a theme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVED this challenge. It has been my favorite so far. I was nervous at first as it is usually hard for me to use the organic approach, but this time I actually was able to picture the images after I made the "doodle". It was so cool to watch it unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This challenge was awesome! I loved the ability to just draw whatever I wanted wherever I wanted. The freedom and abstract ability I was able to use was great, my shapes were bizarre but that is what made them so cool! This was my favorite challenge so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I consider myself a professional doodler. It's definitely something that I do often whether in my sketchbook or on the corner of a page in my notebook. I never really thought my doodles would ever be anything, but when I was doing this activity I could actually see my vision forming within the lines. I think that the coolest part was that there was more than one possibilities as far as what was there. I could have used different colors to create a completely different image.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed this exercise because I was able to fill the page in a creative way. The creativity flowed freely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Out of all of the challenges we have done thus far, this is definitely my favorite. I enjoyed doodling, which is something I do on the regular. I loved that I was able to add color to the doodle in order to make it come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I released my inner child with this challenge, letting myself transfer some imagination onto the page. I combined a few different mediums, enjoying even the mistakes as I watched the way they mixed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since doodling is something that I constantly find myself doing I really like this assignment. so far this was the more free flowing assignment and I really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  21. I started drawing a curvy line and wrapped it inside itself to take up the whole page. The line ended up looking like a face in a tree trunk, so I colored it brown and highlighted the eyes and mouth with different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Doodling is something I unconsciously do. I'm glad that now I am actually assigned homework that will capitalize on my doodling skills. I enjoyed this challenge; it was very comfortable and natural to do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved doing the third assignment! I doodle a lot while in class, in the library, and sometimes when I'm on the phone, too. I completed this assingment while watching a movie on the couch at home, and it was quite relaxing. Like others, I found it hard to see any shapes and pictures since I usually doodle with no real purpose of drawing pictures, but saw an obvious city landscape on the right hand side. In looking closer, I saw a funky face that reminded me of something Dr. Seuss would draw that was smiling if one were too look at it from one side of the page and frowning while looking at it from the other side and also outlined "candles" that lit up flames that transformed into raindrops being dropped from "clouds". I also approached coloring differently by shading shapes and leaving white space with the color instead of coloring completely in between the lines. This is something I'd want to expand on next time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This assignment was very unique in the sense that you were making something from just one non-stop line. I noticed that when color was added it made all the more difference! Enjoyed working on this sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This assignment made me think about the flowing lines of graffiti, or patterns on fabric. I focused on curves and points, colors and transitions (hard to do well!). I also realized how much effort it takes to cover an entire page with colored pencil! Wow. It's slowww...

    ReplyDelete
  26. When doing this challenge, it took me a long time to actually start finding the shape of anything. I had to think really hard because there weren't really any shapes at first that resembled anything. But, the longer I looked at it, the more I noticed different animals and trees emerging. adding the extra lines to make the different shapes stand out definitely helped create a deeper effect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved this challenge. At first I thought, "what the heck does she expect us to be able to make?" Once I started creating the line I immediately observed the shape of a hand starting to emerge. I ended up with a really cool-looking and freak witch hand.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This challenge took me a while to do. It was hard to find objects within the lines I drew. In the end I created a colorful landscape with a couple flonkagoose, palmboosts, and a buffamoose.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was worried what i would make when starting to draw my line because I thought it would just look like one ugly scribble, but as my hand started moving freely on the page, it was interesting to see what images would appear.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Another fun activity. Coloring took me a while but I managed to get through it. First activity was still the most challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sketch was fun. It was a little hard to add on to my sketch after drawing my first line.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Some of those examples are awesome, I liked this challenge because it allowed us to see things inside our lines that we did not know would appear.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This activity really let the creativity flow from my mind to the paper. I was able to recognize the lines that shaped various objects which later developed a theme. I liked this assignment the most and all the artwork posted are inspiration to new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This challenge was interesting because the second I finished making the shapes, I saw exactly the images I wanted to expand upon. After initially establishing these images, it seemed like they were the only shapes I could see within the whole picture. By the time I had colored everything in, the lines in the background seemed invisible and the images were blatant.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really liked that this challenge made me think. I sometimes run into the problem of having to concrete of an end product in mind. This allowed me to stray from that as well as bring it many different colors and shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This exercise was fun, I drew random lines but then I was given a hint that something could be made out of all the lines like a landscape. So I thought of converting it to a tree house. After everything was drawn I wanted to make a sun but it was a circle so I dint make it. Overall the sketch dint take me so much time as the coloring. The coloring somehow showed the theme of peace and sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved this challenge! I really enjoyed looking at the lines I drew after and tried to find faces and objects within them.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I loved this challenge. I loved how my hand could take any direction and before finishing my doodle a picture came to my mind. It was so fun seeing how just lines turned into an image. This has been one of the best challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was the hardest challenge I've done yet. It took me a while to find what my line looked like, but after 5 minutes I realized I could make it look like beautiful architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I really enjoyed being able to decorate and make it my own. It made me think of what inspires me when i draw so i made sure I used my normal inspirations in my title page!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This activity was really fun. I enjoyed drawing one line and finishing up with a whole art piece. While making this challenge, It reminded me when I was younger (baby), because the only thing that I could draw back then was lines.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I started with a large chain of curved lines and once the connecting line was added, it imaged that of a snake. So I added a tongue, and it looks like it had just swallowed its food at the beginning of the snake's body sticking out. This activity was fun but also stressful as I wanted it to look like an animal.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This activity was probably one of my least favorite activities because how hard it was. Organic drawing can be difficult and tricky. It took some time but drawing a line across the page and then some swirls, so it looked like the sky/sunset over the water.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I thought this activity was pretty interesting because it made me realize how many different ways you can look at something, and how unique things can emerge from the one line drawn on the page!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This activity actually made my day a little interesting as i was studying all day. But after I drew the line, it took me a while to think of something but I eventually made something funny out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I greatly enjoyed this activity. Trying to create something out of my lines proved to be challenging. My lines created an amoeba type shape. I had a lot of fun with the use of colors in this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I really enjoyed this activity, I realized how only lines can end up creating an awesome drawing. At first it was hard for me to determine the final shape of my lines but then a great idea came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This activity really helped me relax my mind, and also provided stress relief. I had a very long day. i had two quizzes and i was tired, but when i finished this activity i felt rejuvenated.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I enjoyed the free flowing aspect of this assignment because it was fun making the initial line, then making a landscape from that. When making my line, I envisioned a palm tree first. From there I pictured an island where I would want to be right now on a little chair that is comfy. Then I made an umbrella, a coconut, and waves to represent the water.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I really enjoyed this challenge! I love looking for shapes in different things, especially when looking at the clouds or stargazing, so this activity was really fun for me. Whenever I doodle, I always tend to draw curved lines, and the back and forth movement of the curves across the page looked like coral, so I made a scene of a coral reef out of my long, continuous line.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This was probably my most hilarious challenge to see completed so far. I had to turn my sketchbook a few different directions before I ended up seeing anything, but eventually I saw a guys face within the loopy lines. He has a pretty mean grimace, a uni-brow, and a gnarly Elvis haircut. It was cool to see how my mind just ended up knowing which core lines to include almost as soon as I saw my subject.

    ReplyDelete
  52. This was a very fun activity. I was enjoying doodling and I immediately saw the flowers emerge from my doodle. I was kind of unsure of how to portray the flowers but I traced them with my colored pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I found this challenge to be stressful at first! Once I made the line on my paper I had a hard time trying to figure out what I saw in my doodle. However, once I stopped trying to see actual "perfect" figures in my lines, and just see images that resembled things, the project became much more enjoyable and I had fun completing my giraffe with colored pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This challenge was very interesting to me. I liked it because I had no idea what my drawing was going to turn into. Once I began coloring my lines in it started to look like a seahorse was emerging out of my drawing.
    -Marissa Basile

    ReplyDelete
  55. I put my pencil down on the page and started drawing a crazy squiggly line that I did not think I would be able to see an image from once I was done. But I was wrong, once I stopped drawing and took a look at the page I instantly saw a face. I used shadowing to make it pop out more.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This was an AWESOME exercise! I put my pencil down and after about five minuets of sketching, I saw this beautiful flower appear! when I began to color it, I saw this beautiful flowing breaking through the water! I am very pleased with the results!

    ReplyDelete
  57. What I liked best about this challenge was that I did not have a goal and just started with the line to see whatever would emerge. This really helped with the creative process because I did not have a goal and was therefore not trying to make anything perfect or exactly as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I felt like this assignment was really open-ended and it allowed me to freely draw whatever I wanted my line to be. When I read this assignment the first thing that came to my mind was a never ending road.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I found this to be a bit more difficult than I had originally thought it was going to be. I drew my continuous line, and there it was. I could not figure out what it really was, which got me really frustrated. Through my frustration I was able to come up with images that I did not even think of.
    ~Desire' Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  60. This challenge was fun to do. At first I had no idea what my shape was going to be but as i kept doodling I found that it kind of looked like a door. So i took the door and made it stand out. It might not be clear when you first look at it but at a second glance you would be able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I also liked the creative freedom I had in this challenge. I ended up creating 3 ghosts (Halloween is on my mind) and I was surprised and how the entire page was suddenly something instead of that one silly, squiggly line. I really enjoyed this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  62. This challenge was interesting and fun to do. I started off drawing a random shape and then I started thinking creatively and turned out to be not bad

    ReplyDelete
  63. I loved this challenge! Growing up Dr. Seuss played a prominent role in my life. I read all his books and he reminds me so much of my childhood. When I was younger, I used to pick his books for my mom to read to me before bed. I loved being silly with this sketch. At first as I was frustrated. I couldn’t see anything in my doodled line. But, soon I took a break and revisted it later in the day. I thought back to my childhood and remembered how much I loved how Dr. Seuss took me to different lands. I tried my best to reflect a fun land like he did. I created silly fish and a bird-like creature. I tried to keep it simple like he did, but have his fantastical magical aura.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Dr. Seuss is a personal favorite of mine so it was awesome to try and replicate his style with my drawings and added poem/message. Loved the creative aspect of this assignment and seeing what I could make by only the use of seemingly endless lines. It definitely took a lot of concentration to find possible images to use and then write about.

    ReplyDelete
  65. This activity took me less than 5 minutes to do (apart from coloring). Doodling is fun as I have come to find and I enjoyed the fact that I got to scribble but in a more artistic and creative way. Once again, although my piece of art has no specific pattern or order, coloring through the lines actual brought out the beauty in my work. (Made me feel like Pablo Picasso lol)

    ReplyDelete
  66. I doodle a lot so this came very naturally to me. Because i am so use to doodling I decided to try and be abstract with the coloring by trying to make it seem like it was falling off the page. I attempted this however I not feel the final product was as I envisioned.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I really enjoyed this project because I am always doodling. So to be able to do it for a grade was very cool. For the assignment I incorporated my very favorite doodle the star.

    ReplyDelete
  68. This challenge was so enjoyable because all self consciousness was set aside because you could not pick up your pencil. Then in result of this it was much easier to just go with the flow, without self critique in the way. I found myself just going with the flow barely even thinking about the movement of my pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  69. This challenge was interesting because I drew a whole drawing based on 1 line that ran throughout the page.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I ended up with a snake. Not too shabby either

    ReplyDelete
  71. I really enjoyed this challenge. It was cool to look at all of the curves and turns on the page and seeing what picture forms. At first I thought that this challenge would be very frustrating for me. but the picture started to form itself.

    ReplyDelete
  72. I have noticed that anytime I am to just "doodle" on a piece of paper, I am always able to use those random lines to create something that I would not have been able to create if I were to think about it. This time, I did create something but my mind was kind of focused on creating something than just doodling and seeing the outcome. Good but not great.

    ReplyDelete
  73. This was really funny since I just kept going and I got to see all kinds of different shapes from just doodling on the page.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.