Back again to Washes: Working with Multiple Colors
![]() |
| Martha's progression. |
![]() |
| Alex's squares. |
This will be another technique based sketchbook challenge. Almost all of you have picked up the watercolor pans, so you can move onto this with the water colors. If you have not picked it up yet, it is perfectly fine to continue working with the pencils. You will not be able to do some of the technique work, but you will be able to think about color and placement.
In our last activity that segues us into the self-in-community, we created a "wash" and collaged with images and words from around us over the surface. Some great examples emerged from this. You can also see how the wash these artists created varies--from a bold, smooth coverage, to a tight and textured appearance.
![]() |
| Mikayla's food fiesta. |
![]() |
| Lauren's Bryant garbage can raid. |
![]() |
| Amanda's decorative paper. |
![]() |
| Joe's Rhode Island. |
For this challenge, we are going to draw on urban watercolorist, Felix Scheinberger, to help us think about the importance of the wash we place on the page--as back drop to so much and as, often, the color of the image which we are featuring.
Scheinberger, in his work Urban Watercolor Sketching, states it bluntly:
"Wet paint behaves strangely."
In this challenge, you will want to get a sense of this strange behavior of wet paint. What it does on the page, how it interacts with other colors, what happens when it dries, or doesn't dry and it moves, and moves where we do not want it to!
We will be working with a variation of his three-color portrait sketch, one he uses to help developing sketchers practice working with multiple colors and to wash them across the page.
Here's what we will do:
- Remember that blind contour self-portrait you did way back at the beginning. Guess what! It's back!! (Using pen or pencil) draw a big ole blind contour self-portrait of yourself. Make sure it is not too small. Work big so you fill the full page and you have lots of your face to paint!
- Choose three colors (only three colors) from your water color pan. This limit gives you a chance to deepen your understanding of the way the colors you do choose work. Think about which colors would be interesting placed next to each other. Don't worry about whether your face actually is green or not. If you like green, work with it.
- Before you start your first wash, think about where you might want to preserve some white space--space you will not paint Or where you might leave a strip of whiteness to create a line by not painting it in, maybe along your jaw line or the line of your nose.
- Start with a light wash, using a lot of water. They are called water colors for a reason! Fill in the colors you want for your hair, your eyes, the shadows you want to create. Scheinberger provides an example where he uses a light blue for his hair and beard, a yellowish color for his forehead and a deeper reddish color for his neck and cheeks.
- Let the colors do what they will with the water on the page--flow into each other, settle in places. Feel free to pull up some color with a tissue or cloth if you feel it is settling too much or flowing in ways you do not want.
- Let it dry.
- Then, go back in and start building your color--adding more "red" on top of the "red you have. More "blue" on the blue.
- The goal is not so much to MIX colors as to DEEPEN the existing colors so gradations of value emerge--some of your "red" darker, some parts lighter, some parts more opaque and some more transparent.
Have fun!! We will be taking this technique back to issues of community in the next exercise.
Carry on . . . . .
![]() |
| Estifania's circles (with lines). |
![]() |
| Meghan's sketchbook cover. |
![]() |
| Krystin's sketchbook cover. |










Considering i dint have a paint brush to paint the background, I had to use colored pencils and it took a lot longer then it should have taken. But i like how we had to cut things out and paste it on the page.
ReplyDeleteFinally some improvement in the blind self-portrait! This time I was really patient and was able to make the drawing resemble a human. I think water colors are becoming my new favorite medium. I love how the colors can morph together and the transparent look that the paint has.
ReplyDeleteI loved working with the watercolors!! It was so much fun to pick three of my favorite colors and be silly when deciding where to use them. So far this has been one of my favorite activities.
ReplyDeleteThis was probably the most difficult challenge so far. Although I love working with watercolor, I wasn't in love with how filling in my blind contour drawing went. I was however able to make some beautiful colors by layering on the watercolors after it dried. I was able to get a really dark blue which was cool.
ReplyDeleteI liked working with the watercolors. Also my self portrait improved some from the last ones we drew.
ReplyDeleteThank god my new portrait came out better. The old one was pretty scattered but finally getting the hang of doing it blind!
ReplyDeleteI loved how we went back and improved our work and added some more ideas. I honestly am not a fan of water colors bc how it leaks all over the page!
ReplyDeleteThis activity built the blind contour self-portrait to look complete. In my opinion, the first sketch looked bland but now with the paint added to make features pop, the sketch is now complete.
ReplyDeleteI built my color upon the self- portrait that I previously created in class and enhanced it with three colors. I tried to make the colors are bright as possible so they would stand out from the white space I left blank.
ReplyDeleteI started a completely knew self portrait for this challenge and it was interesting to see how different it came out! I enjoyed working with the water colors and playing with them, making them darker and deeper.
ReplyDeleteI loved working with both the water colors and the colored pencils considering they both work very well together. The water color lays very soft across the page but when you start to mix this with the colored pencils, it brings more completeness to the page and adds more life.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the first challenge, so I loved being able to do the same thing again! I enjoyed adding different colors to enhance my blind self portrait, and I think it came out pretty cool!
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was so much fun! Being able to add color to my blind portrait made me like mine so much more. I enjoyed building color with the water colors.
ReplyDeleteMy blind contour definitely improved from my last two attempts. I definitely liked working with water colors better than colored pencils. I love the vibrant and deep colors they create compared to the pencils
ReplyDeleteFor this challenge I worked really hard to not look at the paper. My image looked nothing like me, but it was fascinating to see the image no less. The watercolors get messy which drives me a little nuts. I really liked the variation of colors though.
ReplyDeleteI found this challenge (and most that require painting) to feel very much like a chore, requiring a lot of preparation and cleanup. I personally didn't enjoy the experience at all, and the paint actually made my self portrait indistinguishable. My final product was a mess without any structure due to the heaviness of the watercolors color.
ReplyDeleteCompleting my blind portrait was a lot more successful this time around! I enjoyed using the watercolors a lot, and it was definitely easier to add color than it was to do so with the colored pencils. Although I don't like my artwork, I did enjoy this challenge. I hope I can use watercolors again in the future.
ReplyDeleteI really liked working with watercolors! Although I liked my self portrait better the first time around, it was neat experimenting with watercolors and seeing the colors blend with each other.
ReplyDeleteI loved experimenting with the watercolors. I was a bit leery of the challenge going in, but found that while I was working I was doing a little less worrying and a little more relaxing. I enjoyed layering/diluting the colors and watching the way they ran and blended.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed using the water colors. I was able to create some very nice colors in my picture. This challenge was a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteI think this is my worst challenge yet! It looks so weird! I guess that makes it look kind of cool but still freaky! It was really hard to paint the portrait with the water colors!
ReplyDeleteThis challenge made me feel very pop art-ish. My blind contour is, in and of itself, a strange thing. When I added the washes and colors, the picture seemed to take on a life of its own and almost resembles a pop art Frankenstein!
ReplyDeleteI realized that I don't really like working with paint. I think that I prefer the pencils or just a plain graphite non colored pencil. However, I do think that I enjoyed the blind contour this time much more in comparison to the last time I did it. I was more comfortable letting things be out of shape and out of place. I think that that is a good sign and that the sketching every day is really helping to make more more comfortable with imperfection
ReplyDeleteI loved working with watercolors for this challenge. However, I found it pretty difficult to paint my self portrait, especially with the large paintbrush. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the challenge that painting presented.
ReplyDeleteThe water colors are a lot easier for me to use than the colored pencils, so I enjoyed this challenge. I wasn't thrilled about having to incorporate the blind contour self-portrait, but using the paint made it more fun.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was fun but took me a while! I am home for the weekend so it was interesting to see how working at home changed my style of work. I am more relaxed and happy at home than I am at school and I think that reflected in my work.
ReplyDeleteI love how beautifully abstract blind contours are!
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read that we had to do the blind contour I pictured my struggles that I had, but when I began to use the water colors it turned into a fun challenge. I think working with water colors is different and building color with water colors was difficult.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this challenge. I was able to relax more with my self portrait instead of worrying about the end product as much. It's always easier to see something likable in color than it is in bland black and white. My face may not be recognizable, but I enjoyed how my relaxed outlook on myself showed in the picture.
ReplyDeleteThis was difficult for me, I need more practice with water colors. I still can't seem to get the colors I want.
ReplyDeleteI love working with water colors and value so I enjoyed this challenge a lot! I liked how challenging it was to find the proper place for each color to give my face balance.
ReplyDeleteThis activity was fun because I got to experiment with colors and white space with watercolors after doing so much experimenting with the colored pencils and the guash.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed only using three colors for the portrait. I had a little fun and decided to add a mustache and a beard. I did not use a whole lot of white space, but did so around the eyes.
ReplyDeleteThis was a fun activity because it was cool to work with the water colors. I mixed the brown and golden yellow together for my hair and it was interesting to see how the colors mixed together.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI had so much fun with this activity. The blind contour self portrait is easy and kinda funny, so adding colors to our new portraits really made the drawings pop!!
ReplyDeletethe blind contour still makes me nervous but i got it done. I think the blind drawing with the water colors makes it look very abstract and interesting.
ReplyDeleteThis blind contour came out so different than the first. I really love working with watercolor, it is my favorite medium so far. It was so fun to see how all of the colors blended together and really made it interesting to look at.
ReplyDeleteI found that I liked to use the water colors a lot more than expected. Drawing another portrait of myself was actually fun and I feel like I did a better job this go around. The one thing with the colors that caught my attention the most was the build up of the colors. For example, the color I did my lips immediately draws the viewers eyes to that part of my face.
ReplyDelete~Desire' Marshall
Love the watercolors and my sketch of myself came out better this time than last time
ReplyDeleteDefinitely am starting to feel more comfortable doing the contour sketch and they are starting to come out better. Also really enjoyed working with water colors.
ReplyDeleteI made an interesting contour drawing, until I added colors that I like. I do not like the way it came out in the end after painting with the water colors.
ReplyDeleteThe watercolors were fun to use, and it came out so much different than the first. I found this one more fun and exciting.
ReplyDeleteActually enjoy working with these water colors! You change a lot by building color
ReplyDeleteI didn't enjoy drawing the contour drawing, but I did enjoy using watercolors to fill it in. The color gave the picture more texture.
ReplyDeleteThis is the funniest thing I've ever created in my life.
ReplyDeleteI really liked this challenge. It was very funny doing the blind contour self-portrait again. I also liked how we were only able to use three colors and use them to paint it and know where to use each color. It was a very fun challenge.
ReplyDeletethis was a very interesting challenge. bringing back the self- portrait but adding color this!
ReplyDeleteThe self-portraits keep getting better and interesting day by day. I was inspired to use blue for hair, yellow for forehead and red for the clothes. Water colours are a fun medium for such a self portrait as I was able to play with the opaqueness.
ReplyDeletethe self portrait i drew now, turn out to be better than the first portrait i did before. But adding color to the portrait makes it look more beautiful but you need a lot of patience because it takes time to let the paint to get dry
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed creating a portrait but only using 3 colors was a challenge. It was hard for me to decide on which three colors to paint my portrait.
ReplyDeleteSomehow, I ended up making myself look like a clown with blue hair, and yellow skin, and bright pink lips. But again, I liked this challenge because drawing it made me trust my instincts once more.
ReplyDeleteI found during this challenge that I really enjoy working with edges on portraits that are not well defined. Being able to have a jagged or 'hilly' edge is really fun to work with and fun to look at. I look forward to doing more with variants of paint. My beard also makes me look like a bit of an ape in this, too! Oh jeez.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge made me realize how much better one could get at art by having practice! I liked how we added some ideas and new flares to this assignment!
ReplyDeleteI do not like drawing myself in the mirror. It always comes out funny and being able to only use three colors was hard because it limits the way I look. For example, my eyes are straight brown.
ReplyDeleteI liked this challenge overall, but it was difficult getting the right colors by using minimal amounts of colors. Mixing watercolors I find to be very difficult.
ReplyDeleteI found this assignment interesting but very challenging. I had to restart a few times because I kept looking down.However, in the end the project was a success.
ReplyDeleteAha the self-portrait again... I find myself a lot better at this the second time around, almost like those pro-sketch artists but with watercolors.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this training particularly because of the tracing aspect. I used to love tracing as a young artist. Also I loved how I got to use color for this challenge.
ReplyDeleteThis art piece was interesting because it allowed me to use different colors for the very first sketch that I wrote. I also found that I was a little better the second time around too.
ReplyDeleteOnce again a very hard challenge. I didn't really care for it. My portrait turned out worst than before but I did found that the color added a nice touch.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this challenge. I like working with paint over the pencils. Again I had trouble keeping my eye on myself and off the page while drawing.
ReplyDelete