Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Challenge #20: October 21 Challenge

The Stories of our Communities

A Collage of the "Event"


Lauren's narrative

Sandra's narrative

Megi's narrative

Danah's narrative

Sean's narrative

With today's challenge, you are officially two-thirds through the Creativity Sketchbook Challenge!  Bravo!  Keep going. As we get closer to the end of the challenge, I'll start forewarning you of some of the upcoming finalizing activities.  

Keep in mind Rob Dunlavey's presentation on Wednesday in Gulski, 5:30-6:30.

I will also have some new materials for you soon. Materials that will help you, especially, on the last three activities of the challenge.  

Watch this space for when you can stop by to pick up the new stuff.

Here's our thoughts for today:

I would like us to continue to work with words and thoughts about the narrative that we wish to tell about our community. Some of you have chosen happier stories, others less happy and more compelling in different ways.  That is fine and good. Be aware that you are not fixed at the hip to any of these narrative choices, and so you can change them as we go along--if one gets hard to work with or you wish to pursue something else.

Now, don't give up too soon! But be aware you can always change your focus if you wish.

Look at your first square from the previous challenge -- the "event." For this page of the challenge, I would like you to build a collage that calls to mind this event. The goal is to tap into as many senses and visual images that would recollect this event for you.  

Use the skills you have developed so far to think about how to build a base on which you would collage these items--maybe a construction color page, or a watercolor wash, or another approach you wish to take.

After you have your background, don't overthink the placement of the items on the background, but work for a sense of the event as best you can.

Here are some items with which to build your collage:
  • Photocopied images from the web
  • Actual Pictures
  • Newspaper images
  • Actual fabric and fabric patterns that recall the moment
  • Quotes from people who have spoken about this event
  • Passages from poetry or fiction that speak to the idea or thought or actuality of this event
  • Splashes of color(s) that come to mind when you think of the event
  • Found items around you that surprisingly or not surprisingly connect to this event in some shape or form
  • Organic elements, items around the campus or elsewhere that you feel connect somehow
Try to work less on the level of the square 2 (character elements) because we will come to that soon, but get at the event (and by extension, the location) that comes to mind for you when you think of this event.

Good luck!  Keep the images coming. thassele@bryant.edu

67 comments:

  1. I found this challenge enjoyable because I had fun looking around for pictures and things to add on to my collage. It was a fun process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been working on this for just a little while and found that I could have continued for many hours--this, despite having a pile of correcting in front of me and academic writing to attend to. I have another version of this story that I have written in narrative form. I realized that by adding images in this collage, I strengthened the story-telling devices I can use in the narrative form. Being in the verbal footnoted world for two decades of my adult life, I may have cheated myself by not being more willing to explore these arenas and take risks. I send blessing to Professor Hasseler for bringing this practice to our community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The event happened in my community. It was fun to make a collage of this and look for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collages are my favorite artistic pieces to work on, so I had a lot of fun with this challenge. I like being able to incorporate words and pictures into my work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the event I chose and I love making collages. I printed out images from the event and used a color theme which describes the event. I think this challenge is a lot of fun working with the narrative squares.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked making this collage, I looked through pictures form our games and tried to get a cool picture of everyone on my team in the collage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creating this collage was difficult with the lack of photos on the event i chose. I did look up images from the internet and pieced together a collage that pictured my event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was neat to create an image of an event through your eyes as opposed to looking at images of the event from another's perspective

    ReplyDelete
  9. This challenge was also very therapeutic for me. For my collage, I decided to cut out and create most of my images from construction paper. This was because I thought they would better represent my event if I created them myself. The whole process was relaxing and I actually feel even better after creating this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This challenge was exciting to tackle because of the fond memories that were captured in the photos that I collected for my collage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this activity and found that it really touched home with me. Portraying the scene of the Boston Marathon bombing made me think about those who lost their lives and the way that it affected the people in their lives. It felt like paying respect to those who were affected.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this challenge, making collages are one of my favorite activities. I used alot of images and phrases from newspapers and magazines because that's where I find most of my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love making collages and I found it to be really entertaining to make one about the story I chose from my hometown. I forgot about how humorous the "Banana Bandit" story was and how quickly it spread on the internet, so this challenge really refreshed my memory and made me think back to everyone's reactions when it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought this was a fun little sketch. Hard to find and cut out all the materials but different from any other sketch we've done so far and I love when we switch it up from mandalas to water paint to collages.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed looking around for different pictures and readings on my event. Although it was kind of challenging to find these different pieces that I was going to add to the page, I was able to get pretty creative in recreating this event.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was fun to look back through my old pictures, I found it rather easy to make this collage due to the fact that I had the idea and just had to make it a visual piece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the collage. I chose to use some powerful photos that related to my event that bring a lot of emotions forward.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used a quote that someone from my community said about the girl that passed away. It is really powerful and just makes me think back on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't quite know how to approach this challenge. I used materials that make up the majority of my event, which were found right at my desk. With the materials I combined quotes about the event that I've heard and felt myself. For this challenge, I didn't know what I was going to do and instead just gathered things together and glued and posted. It was different since for the past challenges, I thought about placements and coloring, but for this one, I just randomly added. To an extent, it resembles my event since it is chaotic and stressful, requiring me to put things together quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The fact that we got to work with such personal stories made the collage much more enjoyable. I haven't really been a fan of making collages but this challenge changed my perspective a little bit. I liked finding things to symbolize what reminds me of my event and how it makes me feel.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed creating a collage about the event in my community, adding pictures, quotes, and color made me remember that out of experiences we become stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the way my picture came out! At first I wasn't sure how I was going to tackle this challenge but it ended up being one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This collage was tough, just because it brought back a lot of memories. I hope that this will help me feel a sense of release and closure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thought it was cool to be able to think of visual pictures that allowed me to share how this even occured from my eyes. Never thought to look up quotes that pertain to my particular subject so i enjoyed it greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was interesting to go online and search for photos. They brought back sad memories though.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoyed representing this event through a collage, but then again my topic was more suited to this than other's topics. I found it intriguing to decide what images were necessary an which weren't. Also, anything connected to Neil Young is good in my (sketch)book!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Connecting pictures and words helps to create a vision of Square #1 for someone that is not aware with the memory. I found myself attempting to draw the images more than printing out pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It was fun creating this piece because it made me think about the event more and gives my perspective on it. It represents my view on this event which I cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really enjoy working with collages. I love the process of going through newspapers, magazines, my trashbin, online, etc. I love collecting all the items and then picking and choosing my favorites. It's fun to plan then replan my sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really enjoy collage art but I often find my art at a level I would like to be higher than. My collages often come out simple and I want more than that in my art.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I thought this challenge was fun. It had to do with us personally and i enjoy building collages. I find that I am better at doing this than actually drawing something out.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like being able to reflect on an event from our past and really focusing in on certain elements, but I personally am not a fan of collage. I like painting and sketching much more so this wasn't one of my favorite challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This challenge brought back a lot of memories of what is one of the few things I remember from when I was really young, looking at the community come together in pictures and videos is pretty overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like how dynamic collages can be.Everyone's will be unique and different. I know this is true for all the work we do, but I think that collages are a really cool way to bring life to a page. They have the ability to tell a story in a really unique way. The ability to self reflect and create is a nice break from reality. I like being able to focus and be in my own mind, being specific about what I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Collages are something that I am starting to really enjoy. I have always wanted to start making collages, but I always found a reason to not be able to. This challenge forced me to make a collage. I enjoyed this challenge and feel like I really got to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I liked this challenge because I love the organized chaos nature of a collage! I enjoyed thinking about my past and how I could put my collage together

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really enjoy making collages. I looked up pictures of Market Basket. These pictures reminded me of both good and bad memories. The events that took place this summer really brought the associates at MB together as a family. On the other hand, I remember feeling worried and anxious this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love collages. this was fun, i tried to not over think it as much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I really enjoyed this challenge, especially being able to make a college of my own from magazines and putting my own personal touch on it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This was very challenging for me as the event was extremely specific. Also it is so personal to me that it is somewhat difficult for me to work with, but I think it is also helping me deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. It was interesting to build an overall image with many smaller images that were regarding a few words. To be able to tie everything together was harder than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  42. this challenge was difficult because it was hard to remember back to that specific moment.

    ReplyDelete
  43. going on my last post I really liked this challenge again because it allowed me to further reflect on the event I described.

    ReplyDelete
  44. the hardest thing about this challenge was to remember the emotions I felt during this time!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This challenge helped me reminisce about historic times from the past from my community and see the hardships my community has gone through to be where it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I enjoyed this challenge but got stuck thinking what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This was pretty cool and I loved doing this because I love making collages and using different elements and bringing them together. I made use of pictures, doodling, headlines from newspaper and calligraphy to depict my event.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I choose to focus on the good memories of my grandma. It made me happy to start to collage memories of my life where I felt the most loved from someone. This challenge actually came easy to me and I enjoyed working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I enjoyed this challenge because we got to portray a personal, real event and make it into art. It was challenging to remember the exact senses and visual images about the event because my event happened so long ago

    ReplyDelete
  50. This challenge actually got me thinking about the time my community went through some hard times. Also I came across a few things in my room that reminded me of the time my family and I remembered our loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  51. using stories that hold a high emotional value o each of us made it much more fun and interesting to pour those emotions onto the page

    ReplyDelete
  52. This challenge was interesting because it brought back many memories from my past and it made me remebmber some good times.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This made me remember important things and events in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  54. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to get my thoughts into a collage but I felt as though it came out well in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  55. again just like the last activity i wasn't to sure what i was doing

    ReplyDelete
  56. I used quotes for this challenge to reflect on my community. I enjoy making collages so this challenge was fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I enjoy making collages so I really enjoyed this assignment. I used this assignment as a reflection piece.

    ReplyDelete
  58. This goes with the same idea as Activity #19, but I found this more challenging because I have no pictures or memories of this particular moment in time. And it was very difficult to draw these events

    ReplyDelete
  59. It was pretty hard for me to choose an event. I have so many I could have done. I just told the story in plain language

    ReplyDelete
  60. This challenge was fun. I liked being able to pick an event and create like a "scenario"' of it through the collage.

    ReplyDelete
  61. My first square talks about the capital city of my country, Accra. For this challenge I decided to draw a map of Ghana and show the location of my city. I enjoyed this challenge as it was straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I enjoyed this challenge because I chose my graduation so making a collage from pictures of that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  63. For my collage, I decided to draw pictures because it was really difficult finding physical materials to throw on. I drew one picture of my house when I lived there, in NY, compared to what it looks like now.

    ReplyDelete
  64. i changed the narrative to something different then what i did on the first one. I just felt the need to go a different direction and i loved how it turned out

    ReplyDelete
  65. it was fun to make a collage about the events of my community, this challenge was really different compared to others, and i really enjoyed it because i like to do collages!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Rebuilding of the freedom tower is an event that I think is the happiest as I've lived my life so I chose to build a collage around it.

    ReplyDelete
  67. This one was actually quite fun. There is a running joke in the car world that says if its fixed, its fixed, weather it be with duct tape or zip ties, its fixed. I followed the previous challenge stories and made a short flip book, even including a picture of my own race car.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.