Do I paint my initial contour line self-portrait or make a new one?
Some have asked whether you should literally go back to the first self-portrait and paint that one, or do another one.
I had thought that you would draw a new one and paint that one in--getting practice at both methods.
If you want to paint the first, I would suggest making a transfer image of it to a new page in your sketchbook so you still have the original to alter in ways you want or to leave as is.
Some quick transfer methods.
The Window as your Light Box Method:
- Get trace paper or thin copier paper. (If the paper is thin enough, you may not need the window)
- Hold your self-portrait up to a bright window
- Place the paper over your self-portrait. Tape it to the window to hold in place.
- Trace your image with a dark marker.
- Take the two down from the window.
- Now, tape the marker, tracing to a window.
- Hold your sketchbook or a page up and then trace the image that will be shined through the trace. Using nature as a light box.
- Get trace paper or thin copier paper.
- Place it over your self-portrait
- Using a soft (B) graphite pencil, trace your image. Use some force here to get graphite on the page.
- Take your traced image, place the graphite side down on your sketchbook paper.
- Use as burnisher of some sort--a comb, the not pointy end of your pencil, a bone folder (ideally).
- Rub where you traced.
- A light (mirrored) replication of your image will transfer to your sketchbook.
Please do not just photocopy your self-portrait and redo. The water color will not respond as well to the weight of the photocopied page and it will just get messy and torn.
This one was a bit confusing, I had some difficulty doing this challenge.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was nice because it helped me work on the first skill we developed at the beginning of the sketchbook challenge. I ended up using watercolor paint to add color to self portrait.
ReplyDeletethis challenge was very difficult for me, I was extremely confused about what to do . I eventually figured it out but was not proud of my final product.
ReplyDeleteIt was a fun challenge! I just drew a new self-portrait, which takes about 5 mins, and I painted it using water colours. I gave a light transparent wash and then the fill was a little darker.
ReplyDeleteI redrew my face and I thought the first one looked a lot better. This time I made my face look like an evil oompla loompa. All of my first drafts seem to come out better.
ReplyDelete