Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Challenge #15: October 16 Challenge

Back to our Symbols: 

With Today's Sketch you are Half Way through the Challenge

Bravo!!!!

Alexandra and Miss Moffat.
















I hope you enjoyed working with the mandalas. This is a style of work that you can return to as many times as you want. The images I have seen are really quite extra-ordinary.

Tori's mandala.

Martha's mandala.

Laura's mandala.

With today's challenge, we return to do some work with our symbols. Let's see what others having been doing so far--creating both black & white and color renditions.

Sante's Nike flame.

Gabriela's colorful Om.

Andrew's powerful fire dancer.
Ali's yin yang in color.
And in B&W.

Let's work to further abstract our symbols. So far we have done so through value (working in B&W) and through color (playing with color possibilities for our symbols).

Now, we can think about composition or placement of the pieces of our symbol on the picture plane:

  • Take your symbol and start to deconstruct it.  What lines and shapes do you see? For instance, in Ali's yin yang, we can find circles and tear drops shapes. Also, she added some creative stripes to the colorful U.S. flag version of her symbol. I ask you to imagine taking all those pieces and tossing them into the air. Where might they fall? How might they overlap each other? What space would they take up on the page, or off the page, and what tension among the shapes would be created by the proximity of the shapes/lines to each other on the page.
  •  Sketch out an option (or if you feel adventurous) two.
  • Looking at that abstraction/deconstruction of your original symbol, how are you now inspired to color it?  What seems appropriate? What might be fun or compelling? 
  • This deconstructed, colored symbol is your sketch for today--for the midway part of the challenge.
  • Your choice of medium--color pencils, water color, cut/paste. You decide.
Keep the images coming.  thassele@bryant.edu

Isabel's collage.




65 comments:

  1. My "difference" triangle seemingly became a weird star or flower. This was a very interesting challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy the challenges where we get to work with out symbols! It was difficult for me to figure out how I was going to deconstruct my symbol because it is already really simple. After completing this challenge I actually liked the way this sketch came out over my original two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used watercolors to deconstruct my symbol. I played with movement on the page to reconfigure the symbol. I also changed the color and shape size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rearranging my symbol gave me an entirely new look on the symbol itself. Seeing all the different shapes on their own was very interesting and gave it an innovative look that really caught my attention. I used watercolors to add color to the symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried using cut and paste method, it was one I did not think to use before. I liked the way it came out better than the colored pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I divided my symbol into 3 pieces and cut them out of construction paper. I threw them up in the air to see where they landed on the page (I had to move them over a little). It was neat to play with color and balance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the challenge today I divided my symbol into 4 pieces and painted them in different areas on the page. I colored each of the pieces different. It was fun to create the parts and see my symbol differently seperated instead of as whole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This challenge was a lot of fun, thinking of the combinations of breaking up my symbol. It makes you think outside of the box and also think of how the symbol was made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved deconstructing the symbol and using colors again. I thought about how thins would fall if they were attached to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being able to deconstruct my symbol was a lot of fun. It gave us a lot of freedom to do what we wanted here. I also loved adding colors to them again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My symbol went from a key (a symbol that opens doors to different walks of life, perspectives and answers to questions) to a very masculine type symbol and reminds of of passion, and aggression. The colors followed suit with black and dark red.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I created my symbol like it was falling off the page.. similar to what we saw in class with the story using only objects. This activity was fun and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I struggled with this challenge at first because my symbol is very simple. There were only so many shapes I could find within it. I also had this vision of making my symbol appear as if it was falling apart starting at the top right hand side of the page. Still, once I sketched this out, I didn't like it. The end result of this challenge was not at all what I expected but I still enjoyed creating the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deconstructing my symbol really allowed me to see it from a different perspective. Looking at the symbol and breaking it into three pieces compelled me to think more creatively. I also liked that we were given the option of choosing any medium.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed this challenge because I really enjoy doing sketches! So I found the idea that our piece was essentially "falling apart" was exciting to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deconstructing my symbol was so cool, I placed certain parts randomly on the page and the final product turned out to be very funny. I thoroughly enjoyed this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This challenge was fun because I got to think about the shapes of my symbol and how to place them on the page and create a new meaning/story out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This activity really helped me learn about perspective! Its really crazy how many different ways you can see something!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed working with our symbols again after our break from them and it fun looking at our symbols in a new way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was hard for me to deconstruct my symbol because of what I chose. There weren't many ways for me to go about changing it because of the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved pulling apart my symbol. I started by sketching out bits and pieces of the inner and outer lines and then connecting them to make new shapes. This challenge definitely gave me a new way of looking at contour and shape.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was a great activity, and allowed me to create something from the parts of another. It is interesting to consider the importance of perspective with a piece like this, where we know where the parts of the whole came from, but an outside viewer would not.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed this challenge because we got to work with our symbol

    ReplyDelete
  24. This challenge was pretty easy. I used two methods, drawing out where the pieces of my symbol would be if they were dropped on the sheet and actually using the cut and paste method. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I used paper cut-outs for rearranging my symbol. I was also delighted to learn that Henri Matisse did some of his best cut-out work (which is now at MOMA in NYC) in his seventies. Go Matisse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check this out. I want to be doing this now and at 70! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN0okOq8Hyc
      Footage of Henri Matisse making cut-outs.

      Delete
  26. My deconstructed symbol look like nuts and bolts that are pieced apart. I liked this challenge since it allowed me to look at my symbol in another way. I didn't like the product at first since I thought it didn't look like anything, but after staring at it for a bit, the image came to me. Pretty interesting to complete since it took my symbol and gave it a completely different meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved how dismembering my symbol changed it completely. I gained a new perspective for my symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My symbol was very basic to start so it made it harder to create a consumption that I felt proud of. Instead of working large I tried to work on a small scale and see how it effected the page.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This challenge really made me look at the symbol differently. It was a very creative approach.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thought this was cool because it made me think out of the box and much differently than normal. Enjoying being able to make my own rules.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I thought this challenge was very interesting because it made us look at our symbol and it's components in a different light.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This turned out to be an interesting activity because my symbol is a human figure. Turns out that it's almost impossible not to make it look like the person blew up. Under those circumstances, I think I drew a decent sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Deconstructing the symbol was really fun. The abstract look was really cool. I tried to use more geometric shapes while deconstructing the symbol. I tried using doodling and repeating elements like in a zentangle or a mandala. Hair as a symbol was really difficult to deconstruct and experiment with though.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I found this to be fun because as I was doing this assignment without having any idea what the image was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My symbol has a lot of curves so I thought it was interesting to watch the different arches come together. I liked starting this prompt without a clear vision of what it was going to look like. It was fun to deconstruct and see the shapes from a different angle.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really liked this activity since it made me look at my symbol from another perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This challenge was a bit more difficult than the other symbol drawing because of the deconstruction factor. It was one thing to create a different color scheme, but it is quite another thing to take something you see as being correct and deconstruct it into something new.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I enjoyed this challenge, it really made me look beyond just my symbol and in a new perspective

    ReplyDelete
  39. Deconstructing the symbol was cool because there where shapes that you wouldn't ordinarily see within the larger shape. my symbol has a lot of curves so it was interesting to see everything come together

    ReplyDelete
  40. I only have three lines in my symbol so this was a kind of straightforward assignment for me, however I enjoyed it nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I had great fun doing this and had to select among several ideas I would have liked to pursue. This assignment has made me more sensitive to the idea that artists use sustaiining images in their work which I may have missed in my appreciation of their craft.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I enjoyed deconstructing my symbol to give it another look. This look isnt what one would expect, giving it a new feel and unique look. Even though my nike symbol was tough to deconstruct, i made it look out of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I liked working more with my symbol. This time I added in a simple phrase into the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This challenge was interesting because i've never disassembled an image like this. I was pleased with the way it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This challenge was unique. I never thought to break an image into pieces to recreate. It's funny how original my new piece came out despite coming from something that is so well known.

    ReplyDelete
  46. My symbol was fun to work with, considering that it is constructed from only triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  47. My deconstructed symbol started to look like a bunch of jumbled words because of the letters in the Knicks symbol. I wanted to use a variety of colors in the different parts of the symbol because I thought it would make it pop better.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think humor is a pretty powerful and interesting thing to work with, so I tried to have it influence my deconstructed symbol. I may add color to this challenge later on if it is hard to tell what the sketch is!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I struggled with this challenge because my symbol was really hard to take apart. It had some simple shapes and some really complex shapes that I wasn't really sure how to put them together differently.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I thought this challenge was fun because i drew shapes all around the page and decorated them to make it more fun than the normal symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I had fun working on my symbol again after a few days, as I could do a lot with it. But initially i had a hard time deconstructing it as my symbol is a logo

    ReplyDelete
  52. I had fun with this one. My symbol came out completely different this time around. I think it came out cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I liked this one because my symbol is pretty complex, so it was fun to take it apart and put it back together making it look completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I tried to incorporate movement with my Symbol this time. I wanted to make it look like it was moving left to right like the objects we saw in class

    ReplyDelete
  55. I did not really understand this one now looking back at it, but my shapes from my symbol looked like a bird, so i colored it like a bird.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I am on my third symbol to try and I think three times the charm. I felt like this new symbol is simplistic enough for my to push the envelope and make it abstract. Taking my new symbol I completely reconstructed it and reversed the shapes that it formed. I really like how it came out, then I wanted to think about how to color it and I decided on the gauche. I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I really liked this challenge. Being able to deconstruct it and make create something new of was very entertaining. I also liked being able to do what ever I wanted my symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  58. This was a cool challenge cause it was fun to deconstruct the symbol. At first I did not know how it would turn out but I was able to create a new image with my pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  59. i really had fun doing this challenge. It was not difficult at all and overall was a pretty cool activity

    ReplyDelete
  60. This challenge was quite straightforward as all I had to do was cut and paste. In doing so I portrayed how my symbol would look if it were to be deconstructed.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I did this challenge a while ago, but didn't realize that I hadn't formally deconstructed my symbol on October 12th onto an open page.

    ReplyDelete
  62. this challenge was a lot of fun! it was interesting to see all the pieces of my symbol around the paper

    ReplyDelete
  63. i broke down my symbol, or smiley face, into four parts. It looks very symmetrical and interesting and makes me look at my symbol differently

    ReplyDelete
  64. When I broke down my symbol, the Praying Phoenix, I quickly learned that my entire symbol was born from simplistic lines. I feel this is very symbolic in the way that the Phoenix is born, from its simplistic ashes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.