Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Challenge #7: The October 8 Challenge

The Progression of Self--for now, anyway 

Today's challenge brings us to the end of the first week of the 30-day challenge. Congrats to you on your efforts to make your sketching/journalling a commitment--a disciplined practice that gives your brain a chance to create and play.

Sante's contour drawing.
Shawn's contour drawing

















To bring our observations on the self-in-community into focus, after this first week of exploration, we will do a three-part sketch (a triptych of sorts).

The goal of this activity is to review your previous sketches and to put the techniques learned together with some current self-reflection.

This coming week, we will work with observational activities that will bring our "self" into connection with the community/communities that surround us. In the meantime, let's take a moment to luxuriate in some self-observation and reflection.




Here we go . . .  
  • Place three relatively equal squares in an overlapping construction. You can work vertically or horizontally.
  • Each square will be a visual response to a part of your "self."
  • The left or top square is "who you once were."
  • The middle square will be "who you are."
  • The right or bottom square will be "who you will be."
  • You can work pictorially or non-representationally. Here is one way to design your progression: choose a color that represents who you once were and fill in the square with that (I might pick a very vibrant blue with flecks of red and purple), then choose an object that reflects who you are (I might choose a cartoon version of a baby), and then create a directional line or series of geometrical shapes that represent who you will be (I might create a line composed of twists and turns that ends with an arrow pointing to infinity). These are just suggestions and you can work any way you want. But feel free to use previous sketches as inspiration for what you might do.
  • An important part of this design/sketch is those overlapping spaces, which the "who you are" has with both the past and future selves. Think about how you want to use that overlapping space. What you would like it to visually suggest.
Here are some of your fellow sketchers images:

Krystin's beautiful design.
Reminds me of gorgeous ceramic plates.

Alexandra's "return me" page.


Megi's circles and shapes.

Sandra's personal Milky Way Galaxy.

Lauren's turtle.



72 comments:

  1. This challenge was interesting. I liked that we had to thing about our past, present, and future and create a visual response of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this challenge a lot because you got to tell a little story about your past, present and future. I liked how we got to do our own thing to it and put our creative mind into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the other guys have said, I really enjoyed incorporating the three stages of our life in the drawing. It kind of tells an overview of our life through our creativity

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this challenge because it made me think of how i view my past, what represents who I am now and the road to and end product of who I will become.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This challenge is very difficult because picking things to represent me was a tough choice, I am not sure who I will become.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was interesting, as we were to choose only a few colors and objects to represent ourselves completely. It forces me to think of my life in terms of defining features and people. This was an interesting activity mentally and when physically drawn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This challenge was fun to draw and color the three stages of our life. I liked using colors to represent my life in the past and where it is going in the future. I also overlapped the colors from box to box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one of my favorite challenges! I felt like I was able to do more with the challenge because there was less guidelines. I used crayons instead of colored pencils which I liked a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used colored pencils for this challenge. I thought this challenge was interesting and I used a couple symbolic images to show myself from the past, present and future. For the overlap I mixed the colors from the past with present and then present with future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This challenge took a lot of thought and it was interesting to see how I reflected on myself and my future. I primarily focused on the use of color and movement to show how I have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was definitely one my favorite challenges so far. I liked that I was able to self reflect and turn my reflection into an artistic and creative form.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This challenge really made me think of my past, present and future. After brainstorming, I created three different images or symbols that show how I have progressed in these three different phases, overlapping the symbols as I moved from one stage to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one was quite challenging for me when it came to representing different points of time with a single frame, but in the end, I surprised myself with how effective I was able to demonstrate each time period. Fairly time consuming and relaxing to make this challenge using my own interpretations of the 3 eras.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drawing with inspiration is so much easier than just free drawing something. The ability to put my life into the drawing made it seem natural and fun yet challenging because it is something i have never attempted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This project made me look at myself to create a piece of art which represented myself which is what my major challenge was. After getting some ideas flowing it was easier to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This assignment was tricky because it involved a lot of reflection, It made me think about who I used to be and who I want to be, but the most difficult part was definitely trying to draw who I am now. That was also the most difficult part to reflect on. I ended up drawing a map in that square to represent that I am still figuring out who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This assignment was challenging due to self reflection and the thought of a future self. I was tough to put it on paper and finding that right object to project what you believe about yourself. This assignment really challenged my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought this challenge was fine. It was easy for me to come up with what colors I wanted to work with and why

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was challenging at first to come up with an idea to represent who you were, who you are now, and who you will become. I decided to take a symbolic approach on this and created stages of a flower to show my stages of growth. I was surprised how my assignment turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It took me a while to think about what to draw for this assignment. But I decided on using my squares as my grades from freshman year of high school until now, so in each square I used symbols of how my grades have improved over the years. In the last square I drew how I want my grades to be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used sharpies for this challenge. It made me realize how crazy my life is and how I am hoping to calm it down and live a simplified life once I am done with school.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I spent a decent amount of time on this assignment, but really enjoyed it. It was interesting to think about what colors and symbols could convey the different stages of my life. I also played around with watercolor and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found this among the most difficult challenges because what I couldn't execute what I had in mind. I had wanted to use the middle square to suggest a transforming mechanism or movement but couldn't do it. I wanted this to represent a human figure, open and expansive which would take me to the next phase but I can up with something that is only partially there. I think my obstacle here was that I had too competing abstract thoughts and couldn't get the imagery the way I wanted. If I could have relied on photographs or a collage, that may have been an easier more satisfying path for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This challenge was interesting it let me represent myself and reflect my personality through art and using the creative mind

    ReplyDelete
  25. Favorite challenge so far! Interesting and cool to draw out your path in life. It opened my mind to endless possibilities in life and made me look back to what a crazy road I've already been on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoyed this assignment because it made me really self reflect about myself. This reflection was different because I was able to reflect about myself through images instead of words.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This challenge was interesting in the sense that I looked at myself from three different perspectives, past, present and future. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I liked this activity. Mainly because it helped me to think about myself as far as where I have gone ,where I am,and where I am going

    ReplyDelete
  29. I thought this challenge was very interesting. l enjoyed being able to represent myself using different symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  30. At first, this challenge was very difficult for me to figure out what to draw. After, I thought about it and let myself reflect, I found some inspiration. At that point, I really started to get creative with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had fun with this challenge! I drew the "Game of Life" game board and drew different paths shooting out of a main path which is the path I chose. I highlighted three separate blocks by drawing them bigger and filling in my 3 different versions of my life: past (middle/ high school), now (college), and future (work).

    ReplyDelete
  32. I liked how I had to think about my past, present and future. Gave me some motivation of thinking about my future plans in life!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I realliy liked this sketch and represeting myself in the past and who I use to be

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sketch took a lot of thought but was relatively simple to draw out. I went ahead and used my watercolors to focus on color change and then used smiley faces to show how I've changed. It's pretty simple but has a lot of symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This activity was really fun, and I didn't expect to like the final product as much as I do. I think that it required more brainstorming than past exercises, but I like the way I interpreted it. I think it will be cool to see how my classmates interpreted this, and to understand that even though we all started with the same shape the final products will all be completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I agree with the previous posts that this assignment took a lot of thought. But I really enjoyed doing the challenge. It was interesting to think about my past, present, and future and how unsure of which path i will take in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This challenge was interesting. It was hard for me to think of specific things to draw to capture who I was, who I am now, and who I will be become in such a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I didn't love this challenge as much as I did the others, but I did love the concept behind it. Once I saw it all come together, it represented a transformation instead of a cut and dry change. It also showed movement throughout the page.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I found this challenge to be difficult on the grounds that it was hard to develop three images that illustrated a transition. I had to look each square as an individual unit in order to complete the assignment in a way that I could be satisfied with.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I finished the quickest yet with this challenge. For the past, I represented squiggles of lines using markers to suggest that life was carefree and I had no idea what direction even was. For the middle, I drew straight lines to suggest that my life now is to go to school and complete schoolwork, which is one direction. For the last box, I drew a question mark and squiggles of arrows suggesting that I don't know that the future will hold, but I hope it will be all over the place and not very a straight path. I enjoyed this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I used three different colors to represent the three different places in my life. For my past I used pink because I was young and innocent and carefree. For the present I used red because my life now is hectic and interesting. For the future I used blue because I feel that this is a calming color and hopefully I will find success in my future and be content.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I loved the concept behind this challenge. It was interesting to represent my past, present, and future in three different images, but overlap them so that they are all connected. Although it was hard to depict each phase of my life with one color or image and it required a lot of reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It was weird to think of "who I once was", "who I am" and "who I will be". Overall just an interesting challenge to me.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I really enjoyed this challenge. It was nice to take a break from my day and reflect on myself. It was also interesting to depict my thoughts artistically. Normally, I'm asked to share my reflections verbally so it was fun to have share these thoughts in a more artistic fashion. I was also shocked to see what a distinguished change there was between who I was and who I will be.

    ReplyDelete
  45. It was interesting to think of my life not only now but what made me who I am. It's hard to reflect on your future, when it's so hard to predict.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I thought this challenge was an interesting one to say the least. Thinking about my past, present and future was definitely weird to do, however very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This was a very interesting challenge. i really like the fact that i was able to reflect on my past and at the same time look to my future!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This challenge was interesting, I liked the fact that it was mainly about my life and how it has evolved, this made it a unique activity. Thinking about your life in past, present, and future was definitely a challenge specially when drawing about my future.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I found myself thinking a lot about this challenge, but it was enjoyable once I figured out what each of my squares would hold.The most challenging part was figuring out what to place in the spaces where the boxes overlapped.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I liked this challenged because I could put direct meaning into my sketch. It also forced me to think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I had a good time with this one. I found a super dorky picture of me at 5 years old and copied it into the starting square. I then used my high school's colors as a transition into the Bryant University middle square. I did not have time to finish the last square but i surely will a day that I have more free time so Mom can hang it up on the fridge after.

    ReplyDelete
  52. This was actually one of the challenges that I was driven to do as it was about me. I wasn't completely blank not having a direction, which is the case at most times. It was interesting to reflect upon my transition as a person, an artist, a student. The most interesting parts are the pieces that overlap.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I really liked this challenge. I thought it was an interesting way to think about using symbols and colors to represent transitions in your life. I liked the idea of overlapping the squares to symbolize that everything is inter-connected.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I enjoyed that this challenge had a little more structure to it as well as the fact that you encouraged the use of colors to represent feelings. I felt as though I was able to speak with my drawing I created even though the perfectionist in me doesn't think it was done very well.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I found that this challenge had the most meaning behind its idea. However, due to the amounts of homework assignments, I was not able to fully complete this sketch. I plan to continuing it tomorrow in hopes of completion.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thought this exercise was really cool because it tells a story about our lives, and shows how we have grown as individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I enjoyed this challenge because it offered a period of self reflection. The images I chose to sketch really depicted who I was, who I am, and what I hope to be. I really enjoyed this particular challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  58. This was a very reflective piece. I liked to be able to picture how I want to be eventually but it was also a little bit tough thinking about and accepting who I was at one point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  59. This activity caused me to have a really reflective moment which I greatly enjoyed. I really had to think about my past self, current self, and future self which made me enjoy the activity.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I found it difficult to reflect the past, current, and future through the use of color. It was time consuming to think of the color scheme. This assignment was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  61. This challenge got me thinking about my past and where I see myself in the future. It empowered me to see my life in a different light. I imagined my life in symbols and drew inspiration from there. It really motivated me to think deeper about what I want to become in life.
    ~Desire' Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  62. I loved working on this challenge because it is a reflection of my past and present life as well as my destiny and hope for the future. The past, "who I was" describes my life as a high school kid, especially my final years in high school. The present "who I am" describes my life as a college kid, my trials and things I have to face everyday. The future "who I will become" is a description of who I am on my way to becoming and my hopes for that not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I loved this challenge because the structure gave it meaning and I loved what it looked like in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I liked this one. I just used colors that represented who I was, am and will be. the squares in the middle of the 3 squares turned out to mesh really well

    ReplyDelete
  65. I really enjoyed this challenge, because it made me think about the future, and how much i changed during all of this years. I enjoyed painting the past the present and the future!

    ReplyDelete
  66. I liked this because it made us reflect on our lives. It brought us to reflect on past, present, and our hopes goals and ambitions of the future. All of these are what we do subconsciously everyday anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  67. For this challenge, I colored my boxes with colors that represent my past, present and future.

    ReplyDelete
  68. For this challenge I used color to represent the past present and future. As the areas go on I use stronger colors to show how life becomes more complex as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  69. I really enjoyed this assignment. This assignment has forced me to think of my past as well as my future something I have not done in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  70. This assignment was one of my favorites and a great example of what I believe is abstract art since the third square shows direction instead of color.

    ReplyDelete
  71. This challenge was very unique because it gave me the chance to reflect upon my past, present, and future in different sorts of colors and designs.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.