Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Challenge #14: October 15 Challenge

Second time round the mandala circumference

A stack of sketchbooks from Judith Moffat's
collection, stretching back to the early 1970s.

We will be returning to our symbols for the 15th challenge, but before then, let's try another attempt at the mandala. This time, construct your mandala, using Moffat's guidelines as a place to start.

But for this second one, make sure to add color to your piece--perhaps working with watercolor or pencil.

Focus your attention, as well, on symbols and images you would want to come to the fore in your imagery. Perhaps, you want to use the symbol you are working with, as a repeating image/theme in your mandala.

Think about what Moffat discussed--repetition of symbols and images as forms of meditation.






Some further inspiration:



Alex's collage.

Lauren's self-portrait.

Christine's collage.

Sandra's rainbow symbol.


Estefania's symbol in color.

Martha's olive branch in color.

Morgan's peace sign.

Lauren's Egyptian Hieroglyphic eye in color.

Joe's Bruins.

Nick's collage.

Sean's symbol.
Danah's self-portrait.

Azaan's motivation.



61 comments:

  1. I liked that we had to add color to our mandala because color really can change the view on an image. With color my mandala is able to easily display what my true image is and it makes it more eye appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad we got another chance to do a Mandala! I worked with bright colors and call my Mandala “The Smile Mandala”. This time I worked with happy symbols such as clouds, smiles and hearts to represent my personality. Overall, fun activity using symbols over and over again to create a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's challenge was fun! I used my watercolors to create my mandala for today and tried to incorporate my symbol that I have used for activity 4 and the other sketchbook challenges. I like the idea of creating a pattern in my mandala.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was cool using my symbol to help create my mandala. i never thought to use objects in my mandalas because i was usually focused in on lines and never the big picture. Gives it a nice more cleaned up feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being able to add color to the mandala was a lot of fun. It brought the mandala to life and gave it more meaning than it already had. Incorporating multiple symbols into the mandala was also a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When adding color to the mandala it really brought out all the individual shapes that didn't pop as much in the black and white. I enjoyed this challenge again because mandalas allow the creativity of flow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using Motaff's technique of doing a mandala really helped me in this challenge. I liked that we were able to add colors to it and make each shape pop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that creating Mandalas is fun, I really enjoy drawing different shapes and symbols in each part of my Mandala. for this activity I used gouache and a black sharpie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Putting color into my mandala really made it come to life and much more appealing to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually got lost in a creative flow doing this activity. I started at 4:30 and then next thing I know, it's 5:15 and I'm finished and starving! This was really fun to see the mandala emerge into something new when color was added. I'm really proud of my creation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked how we were given a second chance at creating the mandala. By adding color and symbols, there was a definite improvement from my first mandala compared to this mandala.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adding color to the mandala created a new pop to the designs. Using the technique taught to us by Ms. Maffot and combining it with the water colors was a difficult task but turned out with a successful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed completing this challenge because it involved working with a mandala, which I really like. The mandala completion is very relaxing and doesn't feel like a task to finish. Instead, I enjoy sitting and completing it. The first time I completed my mandala, I didn't like the end result because of the color pencil addition. This time, I enjoyed it more because of the watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This mandala came out much better than the one I drew last night during Judith's presentation. The most difficult part of the mandala for myself is drawing the first initial circle. Adding color brought the mandala to life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Putting color into my symbol made it come to life and look different and better than the black and white version.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed creating another mandala, adding color to it this time made it a lot prettier. I enjoyed creating my mandala using the guidelines that Moffat suggested to us yesterday night, it made starting the project a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked working with colored pencils on my mandala. I think its easier for my to add in more designs and colors, rather thank using water colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this challenge because it was nice working with mandalas again because it is really relaxing. I realized I really enjoy creating mandalas and will definitely be creating them more often just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This challenge was relaxing. I added color to my mandala using highlighters - which made a really cool layering effect. I also made my mandala using my Celtic knot symbol and went with a earth, wind, and fire theme due to the fact that this is what the original Celtic knot was thought to represent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like mandalas and I can see a clear improvement everytime I do one. When I finished my new mandala, I compared it to my quick sketch from last night and was pleased at how much better it looked having had more time to work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love experimenting with how different shapes connect when I'm working from the center outward. I've found it easier to actually start with larger, more simple shapes, and then add detail later. I decided also to give colored pencils another go, and enjoyed my experience with them more since I was working in smaller spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this activity especially painting the mandala with watercolor this time

    ReplyDelete
  23. This challenge was enjoyable, but using watercolor made it hard to get too detailed with the color. I think I should have worked with colored pencils instead. Now I know for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoyed doing this project. It was fun to work with mandalas again and taking a break from the previous symbols we have been working with!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have really come to enjoy created mandalas and liked experimenting with different colors and symbols to create an overall meaning/message for my mandala!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think sometimes the color distracts from the beauty of the mandala itself. I feel that the use of color needs to have large patterns only.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My colored mandala is more visually appealing compared to the black/white which I had in my original template. Selecting the colors and making a pattern with everything was a relaxing exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed this exercise! This was my favorite one so far because it was extremely relaxing. I do think, however, that my black and white version looked better than it did in color!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This mandala was a little easier because I had moffet's base to work from and a couple ideas in my head, the coloring was a little tedious but made it look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was happy we had another chance to work on mandalas and color them in. I was pleased with the way mine turned out

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was quite surprised, yet pleased, with how my mandala turned out. I really enjoyed working with them again and being able to use watercolors to colors them in this time around. I really enjoyed this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I felt like this time creating a mandala was easier. I felt like I had a better understanding of what I was doing, which made it more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. this time creating a mandala was much easier and more fun. I liked being able to do another mandala and make a much better piece this time around. I look to improve even more and add more depth in color.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love mandalas! I feel like I'm improving every time I do one! Kind of surprised. I did like my black and white one yesterday a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think that the more I create mandalas and work with them, the more I enjoy them. I liked how Judith explained that her mandalas had meaning, and I am working to give mine meaning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. It was interesting focusing more on the shapes and the colors for this mandala. With the knowledge that I would be able to use colors to bring out the piece, I was more selective with where shapes would go and what contrast I would need to make the piece come together.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These mandalas look a lot better than the one I did for class for our one of our activities.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This challenge was pretty cool as we got to mix two activities together and add colour to them, making it intriguing and lively. The techniques that I learnt during the presentation really helped me to make a quick mandala. I kept my symbol in the centre of the circle instead of repeating it, as it is a lady with hair. It was fun to further add colour to the painting and bring life to it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is tough to create the initial round circle (which you can definitely tell by looking at my goofy outline), but it is a lot of fun to fill in. I made sure to keep a bit of bold black markers to make the lines pop out a bit more, but working with colored pencils gave the mandala a warmer feel which is nice. I worked a lot with colors you might see at the beginning and end of the day in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  40. For some reason this mandala was harder for me to do. I think I was just focusing much more on the artist's mandala instead of creating my own idea. After procrastinating for a long time, I started to doodle to take the stress of midterm week. This finished product beace a interesting mandala. Loved this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  41. I enjoy doing mandalas because I like the sense of organization they have. I like it when things are symmetrical and I find mandalas very interesting and appealing to the eye, seeing as they move your vision around.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I really liked having another opportunity to create a mandala. By adding color it really brought it to life and made it pop. I thought that using the same symbols over and over made it look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It was nice to have another opportunity to create mandalas. I used one of Moffat's mandalas as inspiration to create more movement on the page than the one I drew at the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Going back to add some colors and other details onto previous work always makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, but now I notice that it can really make your work come out way better

    ReplyDelete
  45. I enjoyed this challenge because we got to add more colors to our sketch

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm starting to really love making mandalas. My second mandala was definitely better than my first attempt. It shows that practicing really does make you improve.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This mandala came out a lot better than my first, especially after adding some color. However, I wish I was able to attend the presentation so I could have heard the techniques that Judith presented to enhance my mandala

    ReplyDelete
  48. I enjoy Mandala's, used a lot of color which made my creation stand out way more

    ReplyDelete
  49. I liked adding color to the Mandala. Mine came out looking like a sun.

    ReplyDelete
  50. color really has a huge effect on a piece of art because colors trigger so many emotions. I loved adding color because when adding vibrant blues and purples it brought my mandala to life

    ReplyDelete
  51. I loved continuing the mandala to add color. It brings out the picture and emotion, and I think it makes it look a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I liked continuing to work with the mandala piece. It is probably the most relaxing out of all the assignments so far this year. relaxing and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This mandala activity was actually very soothing. I went to a place in my mind where I thought about happiness and joy. It made me want to make the piece very colorful and alive. I feel as if the piece speaks to the observer and conveys my emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This was a fun activity and it was really cool to see my mandala come to life once I added color. It added much more detail to my image.

    ReplyDelete
  55. A mandala with water colors was quite interesting, it definitely looks more lively than the mandala we had made previously.

    ReplyDelete
  56. In this case I found that working with the watercolor was a bit difficult, because of the small lines and connections that I started off with.

    ReplyDelete
  57. The application of color to my mandala brought out its true beauty. I used the primary colors-red, yellow and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Adding color to my mandala made it much more fun to look at and I really loved what it looked like in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  59. My mandela was very detailed, so when I added color it took a lot of time, but I added color with a interesting pattern and it turned out beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  60. Again this is continued from the presentation i missed due to football practice. I really loved how i was able to add color to my symbol and pretty much recreate the whole meaning of it just by the use of colors in the right spot.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I strayed away from the guidelines a tad, but I feel the result is much better. Instead of branching from a circle outward, I used triangles and squares to make my work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.