Friday, October 17, 2014

Challenge #17: October 18 Challenge

Integrating our Inspiration:

Martha's symbol via Matisse as inspiration.
KEEP THIS EXAMPLE IN MIND FOR TODAY'S CHALLENGE


Taking Inspiration, Adapting to a Visual Medium


One of the surest of tests is the way in which a poet borrows. Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different from that from which it was torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion. A good poet will usually borrow from authors remote in time, or alien in language, or diverse in interest. 
 T. S. Eliot  “The Sacred Wood: Essays on Poetry and Criticism"

The thought that good artists copy and that great artists steal is often attributed to Picasso, most famously by Steve Jobs.  The debate about the origins of this quote or thought or truism (as it has become) are fun to follow. Just google it, and see where it might take you.

Follow the link below to see one way to map the progression of the history of the quote:
 
Nevertheless, in the words of T.S. Eliot, we are about to steal from our inspirations with the humble hope that we can turn our symbols into "at least something different."

Emily's collage.
For today's activity, I want you to channel one of your inspirations -- whether it is a type of music, a philosophical thought, an actual artist, etc.

This may not be one of the easier challenges, but what I am asking you to think about doing is not just an imitation of an inspiration, but a theft that is transformed into a gift: a new something born from the inspiration of artists or ideas that have inspired you. A new creation that was born out of your "theft."

Here's what to do:
  • Look at your chosen inspirations from the previous activity.
  • Choose one you want to spend some time thinking about--an artist, musician, theorist, book, song, idea, etc. It is probably easier (though not required) to work with an actual artist or musician, whose work you know well.
  • Use that inspiration/inspirer to reconfigure your symbol. What would the musician you have chosen do with your symbol? What colors might s/he work with, shapes, ideas? This might get a lot harder if you work with a concept: How would this challenge work if your inspiration were a concept--like justice?  or freedom? What would "justice" do with your symbol? 
  • Taking this idea--think as complexly as you can about your symbols--from shapes to lines, from value (black&white) to color, from abstractness to representational, from constructed to deconstructed. Which version(s) of your symbol would speak to the aesthetic (style/manner) of your inspiration?
  • Think a lot about placement on the page for this one. Where would the elements of your symbol happen to fall?
  • The goal is not to create something that someone would look at and immediately say--Oh yeah, that's got Van Gogh all over it, though that is not a bad thing. So remember you are not solely IMITATING, but TAKING, and creating something different.
  • For an example of what this might look like in actuality, take a look at Martha's at the top of the page. Henri Matisse becomes the inspiration for her cut-outs. What would Matisse have done with the olive branch? Martha suggests a possibility with her piece. 
A word (or two of advice) if you happen to be working with more abstract inspirations: 

How would justice revise your symbol? Huh? This is probably weird to think about, but what better way to stretch our creativity and our thinking than taking something from one system and translating it to another. We do this all the time (almost naturally). Think about the sounds we might associate with an elephant. If we put an elephant in a film and needed our background music (nondiegetic sound) to be commiserate with the elephant, we would likely use a deep sounding instrument, like a tuba. We would not likely use a flute or piccolo--that is unless we were trying to make it funny. 

In film-making this idea is especially important because the sound director would more often than not search for commiserate sounds or elements to convey something to the audience. We think loud and heavy equals elephant. Not soft and sweet.  Film theorists such as Dudley Andrew and Brian McFarlane talk about these adaptations that happen across genres--when a written word has to be transposed into a picture. Or when a visual picture needs sound to accompany the image.  Film is one of the artistic mediums that spends a lot of time thinking about these questions of adaptation and transformation.

If you are working abstractly, you may have to think in an adaptive manner--what would justice want my symbol to look like?

Remember this is a sketchbook, so your response does not have to be a mini-masterpiece!!!!!!! It just has to be sketched out to convey a possibility.


More inspiration:

Krystin's mandala.

Christine's key symbol integrated into her mandala.

Michael's deconstructed symbol.

Dan's deconstructed symbol.
Sandra's transformed rainbow.

Megi's mandala.

Joe's mandala.

Sarah's mandala.

Nick's symbols.

62 comments:

  1. This challenge was interesting because it was thinking about creativity from someone else point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The person who I drew my inspiration from not only has inspired me to focus strongly on composition, but to also use words in my pieces. I enjoy using quotes so adding words to represent the new possible meaning of my symbol was interesting and made me enjoy the piece more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This challenge was difficult at first, but once I thought of an inspiration it was fun to play around with colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was hard to think of how someone else would approach my symbol. I actually used my mom as one of my inspirations because she is amazing at art! She loves to scrapbook, so I used scrap book paper and cut and paste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much enjoy music so being able to try and take a musicians perspective really appealed to me. Listened to some songs of the person before creating just to get the juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always had such a strong passion for music so this was one of my favorite challenges by far. Being able to incorporate music into my art was extremely enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Music is a huge passion of mine, therefore I really enjoyed this challenge. I actually played one of my favorite musician's music while completing this challenge. It helped me get a better feel for their artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For this challenge, I interpreted my symbol, which belongs to my favorite band, through the lens of one of my other favorite bands. It was interesting to think how the second group would make use of the first groups symbol if that been inclined to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the previous challenge, I decided to use motivational quotes. So for today's challenge, I drew a hand holding a lightning bolt showing the power and the determination it requires to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is difficult to be creative while also drawing from someone else's work. To be able to make sure to have their elements as well as my own became very difficult at times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a really difficult time doing this activity, especially because last challenge I didn't just do people, but specific pieces of work. I don't completely love how this sketch came out

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did have a hard time starting this activity because I wanted to include my symbol and a form of inspiration from the previous challenge I created. I eventually figured out how I wanted to design this sketch.. I used two different colors of construction paper and water colors to create it, overall I like the end result :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had difficulty with the previous challenge. But I was able to think very abstractly to create something that relates to one of my inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed this challenge! Created my symbol into something completely different. I used watercolors for this piece. I re-interpreted my symbol from something that has to do with a religion into something that speaks to people. Very different, yet somehow combined in one sense.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked this challenge. It required critical thinking in order to figure out how to re-create my symbol. I liked using colors and shapes to make it something totally different!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed how this challenge expanded the possibilities of the configuration of the symbol. It required me to think outside the scope of what I normally would.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had to think very abstractly in order to complete this assignment. Although it took a lot of work, I loved how creative I could get with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that it was really challenging to decide what my inspiration would be. Once I figured out what I wanted to use I had a lot of fun with this. I thought it was really cool being able seek out inspiration and thinking it all the way through. This was a really different way to look at a symbol that we've been working with frequently

    ReplyDelete
  19. This challenge took a lot more time to come up with an idea. After I figured out what I was going to do, it was easier.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This challenge was definitely more of a struggle, but I decided on playing off of one inspiration more than the other two and it became much easier--even enjoyable. I'm finding that I enjoy more organic means of designing than structural.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had a hard time with this challenge because my inspiration and symbol I chose were the same. I had to think about how to reconfigure my symbol and also incorporate one of my inspirations, but in the end I enjoyed doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was interesting to take our symbol and incorporate it with some of our inspiration that we used before. I felt that it helped bring everything together within our sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  23. my inspiration has to do with music, I chose to continue this and use more of an abstract inspiration, i really liked how this turned out

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really didn't know what to do for this challenge. So I tried to put myself in my inspiration's shoes and come up with something. All in all, I do like the way the configuration of my symbol turned out, especially the color scheme I chose.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wasn't exactly sure on how to go about this. My symbol is related to my inspiration...in fact it is already the symbol for it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This challenge was difficult at first. It was fun to look at my symbol and change the perspective on it and work with colors.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was a really fun challenge! It took me a little while to find inspiration and really get into it but when I did it paid off

    ReplyDelete
  28. I furthered the inspiration of a band into this activity. It was difficult to create a symbol in their point of view but the results were worth the struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was a fun way to look at my symbol in a new light were it can take on a whole new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This challenge was fun. It made me see how my symbol would have looked like in the view of my chosen artist, who was my inspiration for the previous activity.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed this challenge. I took my symbol but recreated it in a different way that I thought my inspiration would have portrayed it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This challenge was a difficult one. I had a hard time choosing which inspiration to use and really had to thing about how they would approach recreating my symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I had great fun with mine since I have so many sources of inspiration. For this challenge, I created a patchwork called A tribe to tribute to the woman who made me look and fall in love with seaweed. Annie Dillard, of course. Her Pilgrim at Tinker is still the most beautiful book I have ever read. Deep with the history and geology of the natural world and swirled with a spiritual sense of the lightness and heaviness of being. She has been a life-ling inspiration to me pointing my eye and heart to creatures, rocks, other forms of life that escape the attention of most other people, especially learned adults.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I enjoyed focusing in on an artist and truly understanding why they inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really enjoyed interpreting my symbol in terms of my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I enjoyed this sketch challenge and working more with my symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I thought this challenge was difficult. It was hard to think of my inspiration in that kind of way. This challenge was just really hard to approach.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This challenge was definitely difficult for me and I'm not really sure what to think of how it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  39. One of my favorite bands has a member that is also a painter so i immediately chose him to be my inspiration. It took me a while to figure out how i wanted to portray his style but in the end i felt like i represented it well.

    ReplyDelete
  40. this one was a fun one! Loved how we can sketch something related to what we are most inspired by. I'm inspired by many actors so i thought drawing tthe "Hollywood" sign up in the mountains and a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I was finding it difficult to decide between my inspirations, but once I was able to decide the assignment was very simple. My true difficulty is making decisions when there are multiple options.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I found this challenge very enjoyable, it really brought out my inspiration and what really inspires me

    ReplyDelete
  43. I found this challenge fun because the person I admire and know is on the Washington Wizards.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Easy to do when its a musician that inspires you, because it can be heard in the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I always feel uncomfortable picking something to go back and change, but it does teach me a lot about myself!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This challenge was awesome. I changed my symbol it a complete manner to make it bring out more emotion and color.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I had to really think hard about this one. I wanted to work with something that inspired me and made me really think about my favorite period. I immediately thought about the necklace from the movie and I knew that is what I wanted to draw. The necklace itself is sort of like a symbol for that time in the Tudor period when history changed dramatically. I love how this one necklace has its own story.

    ReplyDelete
  48. The painter that inspires me is Jackson Pollock and his unique style of drip painting is really easy, fun, and yet very creative. I wish I had better medium of paints, more vibrant and thicker, however, I used the available gauche for this sketch book challenge. I made the girl and its hair in vivd black, whereas the whole background was filled with colourful drip painting. It looked really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This challenge was difficult for me because I had a hard time trying to grasp the idea of trying to think like someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I found this challenge very fun because I used my inspiration from another person's point of view. It was also fun to bring back my symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I used concepts for my inspiration so doing this was hard but I thought mine came out good!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I really liked this challenge. Since I was a young girl, I have always been inspired by fairy tales. As a child, if I was ever given the opportunity to create, it would be a fantasy story or a made-up character. However, as I grew up and received copies of original fairy tales and studied the topic more, I learned that they are actually very, very dark stories. They were originally used as horror stories to make children comply - think of Little Red Riding Hood. In the original, she is killed by the wolf. Parents used this to teach children to never stray from a path when walking in the woods. Fairy tales are still a huge inspiration for me today. The stories fascinate me and I was able to express that in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  53. this was another challenge I enjoyed because of the thought process behind it. Working our own ideas into the ideas of other artists was difficult, but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I struggled with this challenge because at first it was hard for me to think like someone else. Once I was able to get past that I liked what I created.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Very interesting challenge... I had Van Gogh in mind while doing this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  56. i loved this challenged because i was able to re-create my symbol in a way. i thought it was pretty coool

    ReplyDelete
  57. I also enjoyed this activity because I was able to reflect as well as go back in time. My picture resembles something I do every summer with a friend or friends. Enjoy summer nights and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  58. This challenge was awesome but I had to be very cautious about re-creating it because I personally felt that altering my symbol completely changes its meaning, therefore I rather beautified it by adding a few designs around it instead of totally recreating it.

    ReplyDelete
  59. this challenge was interesting, I did not changed my symbol because it was going to change its meaning, but instead i add some lyrics around it.

    ReplyDelete
  60. For my abstract challenge, I took a scissors and traced it many times in different directions. A crazy shape formed and it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  61. My symbol's originally design had a meaning for I wasn't thrilled about altering it but since I did I was able to find new meaning

    ReplyDelete
  62. I really like this challenge. I actually liked it so much that I changed my symbol completely and started working with a new symbol. Originally, my symbol was a praying Phoenix, I then converted it to a screaming Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.