Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Challenge #8: October 9 Challenge

Taking Stock of your Community Connections


In anticipation of Halloween,
Andrew's super, creepy witch hand.

Quick Announcements: The blog entry just previous to this one announces visiting artist Judith Moffat's presentation. She will share her sketchbooks with us. As a working artist, she has been sketching since a young girl in high school and that makes for some wonderful history and development of style. Her visit is scheduled for October 14, from 5:30-6:30 in MRC 4. Please check this out and read the blog entry to learn about her background. The next week, artist Rob Dunlavey will be coming to campus. More information on his visit will follow.

Another quick announcement: Many of you have picked up your new supplies, but there are a few who still need to get the watercolor pans. If you have not stopped by to pick it up yet, or you did not get them in class, please make sure to connect with me. You will want your new stuff to play and experiment with.

Martha's circles.

Joe's pizza.

Abraham's progression.


Danah's circles.

Our sketchbook adventure is going to journey into the world that surrounds us. As we do this, let's really work on observation--what's around us, what colors we see, what words people are using/saying, what music we hear, what smells, what shapes and forms, what lines move through our space, what textures capture our attention.

To start this week off, we will just play with observing our world, and we will eventually move into a more focused observation of a community that we participate within (using that as inspiration for our sketchbook).

Let's do some warming up creative stretching/sketching to start our thinking along this path.

Here's what's up for today:
  • Using your watercolor pan (if you do not have it yet, consider working with your color pencils), choose a color as a background for your page. Wash the color over the page, not working for opaque, but for a more transparent background for what you will start to collage over the top. A "wash" is generally a single, transparent color brushed over the background of a page to set a canvas for further development of an image.
  • Allow this to dry. 
  • While it is drying, take our your UHU glue stick and a pair of scissors.
  • Cut out words and images that you find around you--from printed paper, from photographs, from paper cups, from candy wrappers, from your garbage can, your cereal box, your homework!
  • Take these images and words and collage them onto your (now dry) watercolor (or color pencil) washed page.
  • As you do so -- think about how you are collaging these materials. Do you want to create a specific shape (like an elephant or a person, a structure as a goal) or do you want to see what happens as you go along (a more organic approach).
Keep the images coming! thassele@bryant.edu

Abby's circles.

Gottfried's circles.

Sean's progression.

66 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one, collages are one of my favorite art projects to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part of this was painting the page because the design that came from the brushstrokes gave it a true organic feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the washing of the page to be tedious considering the small size of the brushes we were provided. Also, the act of just picking up things from the trash and gluing them to a page didn't seem to be beneficial to me. I found my piece to lack any real structure due to the randomness of the incorporated scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this challenge because i enjoyed using the brushes that were given to. This assignment was fun and different which made it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This exercise was fun to create a background of color. I was sitting in the library looking around me and noticed I had my Facebook page open. I decided to print pictures of my friends and family to put them on the paper. I now have a cool collage of my family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a plan for this exercise and decided I wanted to collage pieces of paper and trash around my room into a sun. It didn't completely work out the way I pictured it, but it still looks cool. I think it's interesting to put different materials over a watercolor background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked cutting out words over the backsplash that I painted with the water colors. It was a fun challenge! I used words from the newspaper, magazines and fliers to create a shape of words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved this challenge because I love creating collages with photographs! I painted a bright, fun background and made a collage of fun times I've had with my suitemates at Bryant

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this challenge a lot. I made a collage of food from a magazine because I was really hungry when I made it. This was my favorite challenge so far because it was fun to look through the magazine to find stuff for the collage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a lot of fun with this challenge! I wasn't really sure what materials I wanted to use until I looked at all of the bright sticky notes I had bought for my cubicle this summer (that I never ended up using much!). They are bright, fun colors and I decided to collage them in different size rectangles vertically/ horizontally only to fill the page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was without a doubt my favorite challenge thus far. Working with collages has been something that I have always enjoyed doing. I loved working with water colors for this challenge. It gave the collage a unique look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked this challenge! I loved painting with the watercolor pan and making a collage that ended being a new image. I liked cutting out words and taking wrappers and making it into a shape. It was a really fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this challenge! I was able to find a lot of photos from magazines that described me. The watercolor added another dimension which was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This assignment was difficult for me because I did not have many magazines and things to use for collage materials, but it came out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This challenge was hard at first because there's so much you could do with it. It was hard to narrow it down to one overall idea and image. Overall, I really loved this challenge and that it was really fun. The waterpaints get messy, but it was fun to experiment with them. Also, it was fun because the waterpaints were the background so I was limited to coloring in lines. The collage part was soo fun. I liked going through everything and picking and choosing what to paste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed this challenge because it incorporated to of my favorite things; painting and making collages. It was difficult to find random words around the room to incorporate into my sketch considering I wanted the words to match and share common ground.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed this challenge because of the many different ways that you could go about it. Originally, I was going to find different pictures, quotes, and words in magazines that described me, but decided to take a more symbolic route. The first two words that popped out to me on separate pages were "discover" and "simplicity," so I decided to leave only these two words and add more dimension to the painted background.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this assignment was tedious at the beginning but got a lot better when I was able to put my collage together. I did a Bryant theme and cut and pasted all pictures that are related to our school

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked this challenge a lot! I like working with paint so much more than any other medium! I used old paper that was for scrap booking, and I really like the way my whole page came out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This challenge was pretty interesting. After using a light blue watercolor, I took the numerous Wall Street Journal newspaper I have in my room. I cut out about 15 words that were bad in the world, from Polio to unemployment to Putin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was another activity that I had to go into without knowing exactly what the result was going to be and I had to be ok with it. Giving up that control can be tough but the result came out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was my favorite project to do! i love cutting and pasting! Its even better when two or three pictures are put together to make one whole image.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was so fun! it was a good change from working with colored pencils

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really loved this challenge because colored pencils are extremely frustrating to work with. It was definitely a good change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Making collages is not exactly my forte. I found my self with a lack of creativity as to what to do and wished I had a bigger paint brush for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I definitely enjoyed using the watercolor for this challenge. I had forgotten how easy they are to use! I was stuck on what to build with the collage, so I focused instead on the theme of what I was putting together, which had to do with food and emotions that were clipped from a magazine. Overall, completing the collage was enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was the perfect activity to rest the hand after a couple days of intensive coloring. When you take a second to actually look at some of the boxes and labels around the room, you actually find some pretty cool stuff. I think that if you took enough time, you could make an amazing design with its own theme. I believe this would be the activity that could use a re-doing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed doing this challenge since it was different then the once we have done before. I liked recollecting random things and used them to create one image.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I enjoyed this activity. I liked working with water color and making a collage. I used some pictures from fashion catalogs in the mail. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I liked this challenge! I prefer using paint, so this activity was more fun. I also liked being able to add pictures and words to the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This challenge was fun, yet hard to accomplish bc it was hard finding pictures and words from the paper or magazine. But working with water colors was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved this project! I love working with fun lettering and phrases so it let me get creative with that. I had a lot more control over what I wanted the end product to look like, which always makes me focus on it more and therefore put in my best effort.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This project was really fun and different! Took me back to the days in middle school when I would make these often just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This challenge was fun! My favorite part was doing the background because I enjoy working with water colors, but it was also good to create a collage, something I haven't done in years.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I liked painting the background with watercolors, but I have never really been a fan of collage. I tried to use strips of words I found to make the shape of an elephant, which was interesting and a different take on a collage for me.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This challenge was fun and I liked using the water colors. I found it very difficult to piece all of my words into some sort of workable shape or object.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I liked the idea of painting the background because it makes the page stand out more and then doing a collage was fun. I like collages because it is just a munch of random things, which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really enjoyed this challenge! I made a collage out of things I enjoy. I really liked using the water color. It was difficult to shape my pictures into an object, they are kind of just all over the page.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I loved working with the water colors, they are one of my favorite type of painting styles. I really liked how the cut outs worked so well with the water color background and feel they balance each other out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This challenge was fun and very creative. For me it was very organic as I was just cutting and pasting random stuff and waited to see what image would emerge. It turned out to be pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I loved creating a college. It is something I have not done in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  42. this activity was interesting because i really want to see the different things i could do with the water colored paints

    ReplyDelete
  43. I enjoyed this one..I like the texture of water colors and how much easier it is to mix different colors on the page with them.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This challenge was awesome. I had really been waiting to do something that was like a collage because it was always one of my favorite activities when I took art classes in my earlier school years. I love the different aspects that you can combine into one piece that can seem totally unrelated but in fact can be closely associated.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Always fun to work with new medium! The water colors really were different but I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Collages really allow one to personalize the page. Especially with the water colors, the page represented me and what I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This was my favorite challenge so far. I loved working with the watercolors for the first time and, because I was at home while completing this challenge, I was able to make the collage really personalized using bits and pieces from my childhood bedroom. I hope to make more collages like this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This was a very fun activity. I used the USA Today Newspaper and cut out words that I thought would create a good collage. I also had fun working with the water color.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I did the Day 8 challenges and just now had a chance to send it along. I titled my piece under one blue sky imaging the world and its creatures under one umbrella sky. I like the idea of collage and ways in which this adds narrative and depth to the page.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I absolutely love making collages! So I could not wait for the paint to dry on this one! I loved the background I created because i thought it popped and it was totally me! I took words from my magazines and created a collage that pushed the boundaries. I loved how it came out!
    ~Desire' Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  51. I tried to pick a more vibrant color that would really stand out on the page. I thought it was fun to pick different words and images and see how they mixed together. Although I don't like working with paint.I thought the outcome was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  52. It was good to be able to paint. I am not that good at it but i was still able to have little fun with it

    ReplyDelete
  53. This activity was time consuming, but I was not able to complete it until today because I left my laptop charger at school. I also did not have my painting supplies, so when doing it today, I had hoped this would take less than an hour. I was wrong and ended up spending too much time gathering the materials and completing the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I really enjoyed this challenge because I enjoy collages. I've made some very good collages in my life, and I feel like this one is up there with the best. It helps that it was for a school assignment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  55. This one was different, the outcome was pretty surprising. Also i never thought that sticking stuff on paint would make it look better!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I liked using watercolors for the first time! I went through old magazines to find a bold picture that would pop off the page. I found other word clippings to define the picture I chose.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I liked this one. I found some cool stuff in a few magazines I had.

    ReplyDelete
  58. this challenge was very fun! i love to do collages. I also enjoy using watercolors to paint the background of the page. It is more easier than using color pencils, and the page looks colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I stuck with a brown background to make the page look a bit worn and parchment-like. One cool thing I found to put on my collage was a piece of paper from my anthro class that said 'an introductory history,' and right underneath it I put another piece of paper that said 'where creativity happens'. I like to think that collages that are messy and unconnected are the most enjoyable, because there tend to be so many stories scattered and intermixed with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I forgot I had received my water color pan before this activity so I used a color pencil for the background. Other than that, I liked this activity. At first I was skeptical because I hate cutting and pasting things. But, as I looked around my room and realized that I had a lot of things to cut out and show about myself, I started to enjoy it. And looking at my piece now I do like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I enjoy using the water colors due to the transparency I think it blends well. Also I enjoyed making the collage with things around me.

    ReplyDelete
  62. The ability to use whatever we want was pretty cool to me, and painting is always a fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I liked how I took words from all the different magazines from around my house. It made it fun to do because my mom wanted to keep helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I was not a fan of this assessment;mainly because I thought it was tedious and it personally along time to paint the whole entire page.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I really enjoyed the collage and was able to think of a vast number of things I could create with scraps of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I really liked this activity because it reminded me of a project I would have done when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.