Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Challenge #21: October 22 Challege

Reaching the end of week #3





Selections from Dunlavey's work


Rob Dunlavey
Children’s Book Illustrator and Fine Artist

Improvisation and spontaneity were the key words from tonight’s presentation.  Bad weather, a USB drive that wasn’t compatible, and an awkward room, set the stage, but sketchers and presenter rose above the obstacles for an exploration of sketching.

Rob Dunlavey reminded us of a couple of particularly important things to keep in mind when sketching:

Don’t make it too precious.

Be quick about it! This was my favorite piece of advice, when asked about ways to avoid making our sketches too “precious” or a mini-masterpiece.

Dunlavey suggested to go outside when it is 10 degrees and sketch something. (That would certainly make me work quickly. I hate the cold.)

Another great piece of wisdom came from Dunlavey’s application of Paul Klee’s famous observation, “A drawing is simply a line taking a walk.”

Dunlavey encouraged us in similar fashion to consider taking a line for a walk on the page. And see where it goes. What travels does it want to make?

Grab whatever is at hand is another thought to keep in mind. He spoke of his own working studio, and that he always has a bunch of things close at hand. He mentioned that he knows he would never get up and go in search of some medium, so he keeps a bunch of items—some we might consider random—right next to him ready to be grabbed when the moment requires: house paint, ink, rags, corrugated cardboard, all sorts of texts, almost empty ink jet cartridges, etc.

Consider your own randomly assorted materials that you put in a pile someplace you usually sketch. Or (and I like to work this way) throw a bunch of stuff into a backpack and just carry it around with you.  A watercolor pan, some random color pencils, a few found leaves for texture: these doesn’t weigh that much.

Yet another piece of advice is to follow some "thing" that captures your interest as far as it can take you. Dunlavey has done that with his pointy people and his crystal cities. These images emerge for him, and he follows them until he no longer is interested. Examples of the crystal cities and pointy people are presented at the top of this entry.

Dunlavey sharing images from his multiple sketchbooks.

TODAY’S SKETCH

Our sketch challenge was as spontaneous as much of the wonderful observations that were a part of the evening.

START WITH SOMETHING
  • Put some texture on the page.  Many of us grabbed salt (or I put some on the pages), cell phones, crumpled paper, corrugated cardboard from our coffee cups—anything and scratched a texture onto the page. Placing the cardboard on the paper and embossing our page with that texture.
  • Or draw a rough sketch of something in front of you. Grab a chair and just quickly sketch it out: your TV, the cell pone, a tree outside your window. Don’t worry whether it is perfect or even realistic. Get some lines and shapes on the page.



Estefania adds texture to her page.



NOW, TAKE A STEP BACK AND SEE WHAT YOU SEE
  • Looking at what you threw on the page, see what images emerge.
  • Turn the page a bunch of different directions and see if other images or shapes or things emerge.
  • Once something starts to come into focus, start sketching that “thing” out—maybe your drawing of the chair, actually turns into a baseball field, or a pointy hatted person (in the same style as Dunlavey’s work).
  • If you can’t see anything, hand your sketchbook over to someone next to you and ask him or her to start pulling out what they see. Once she/he starts directing you into a potential image, see if you can take it on and develop it further. Tonight, Miti handed her page over to Shruti, and Shruti saw a peacock emerging on the page and started drawing it.


  • Alex's lines and shapes are held up for a
    full audience shouting session--what do you see?
  • Think of the game you played as kids—looking up at the clouds as they rolled by on a lazy afternoon—remember, you always could see some shape in them—a balloon, a bunny rabbit, something. Same here, what’s on that page. Bring it to life.











A shark! A goat!


72 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Mr. Dunlavey's presentation, even considering the constrained time frame in which it was delivered. His presentation was very organic, and felt like he was "taking it for a walk" to use his terminology. It wasn't structured, but similarly to a sketchbook, it didn't need to because his points were illustrated (pun totally intended) regardless of structure and perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this presentation. I loved how Dunlavey emphasized on how carefree sketching can be and I also really liked his work. The fact that he uses mediums most people wouldn't even think of was really interesting to me. I was especially surprised when he took out an ink cartridge. Overall, this presentation helped me get out of my mind and just let my creativity flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very intrigued by Mr. Dunlavey and how he ran his presentation. I loved going through his sketchbooks and pinpointing out the different materials that he used for each sketch. It was interesting how he contributed paint, ink, colored pencils, and cut and pasta in just one sketch. It really made the sketch pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool presentation despite the fact it was off-the-cuff. He had some really cool sketches for having done them in only 5-10 min. I really like that he said you can use more then just a pencil or watercolors. Anything can be used to create art. Thanks for the calendar Mr. Dunlavey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed Mr. Rob Dunlavey's presentation tonight. I was amazed by his sketch and even more amazed by how quickly he worked on each one. I was fascinated by his book of little people. I was overall a huge fan of all the art work he presented to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also really enjoyed this presentation by Mr. Dunlavey. He was really interesting and I loved all of his sketchbooks! I also loved doodling the whole time. I like the way he views art in the way that it does not necessarily have to be “perfect”.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The presentation was really intriguing because the way he described his art was crazy. When he was talking about how he completed his pieces in 5-10 minutes that was astonishing. I liked his artwork that he said he completed in the rain because the way the color came out was different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed Mr. Dunlavey's presentation because he gave me a new perspective on drawing. He made it seem so much simpler than I make it out to be and I appreciate him sharing his artwork with us. Definitely got inspired by him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the way that Dunlavey took an idea and explored all the possible permutations he could imagine (buildings, birds, figures). He uses unusual combinations of materials and was able to create amazing textures and colors in his sketchbooks. Even with very humble materials, he was able to create inspiring compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Due to him being late and me only being able to stay til 6, I had to miss his presentation. I liked however when he discussed creativity and the mind, how business verse art majors vary in approaches.I actually talked about the presentation with friends who were able to attend the full alotted time. They told me how he discussed all the variations of art and not to limit yourself to one medium. I like the idea that art can be anything, because that means as long as you're looking hard enough, there's beauty in almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked how Rob Dunlavey took a specific idea and explored all angles of that idea. He also keyed on sometimes only sketching for 5 minutes and just experimenting with different materials which was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great challenge. Very fun and unique. Dunlavey really got the whole group intrigued by his beautiful sketches. The way he sees art is so inspiring. Dunlavey taught me to always make something out of your work and always keep sketching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked this speaker! He was so passionate about art and made me more interested in sketching. I loved how he worked so fast and still was able to create something beautiful through the different mediums! Overall great speech!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think his techniques were intriguing and I liked how rough and general this challenge was. Very simple yes interesting to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This presentation was fantastic along with the spontaneous activity! I saw some art recently that was created in a similar fashion and fell in love with it--it was great to give it a try first-hand!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although, I wasn't able to make it to the presentation today it seems like a fun activity! I randomly picked up a medium and drew it out using candle soot.I used my imagination to see what object appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a great presentation. He gave me a different perspective on the sketchbook and how he uses his. I couldn't believe that he did some of his work in 5-15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This challenge was hard for me because it took me a while to see an image that wasn't the original object I had drawn. However, I used tissue paper as my textures piece of this challenge and really enjoyed what that added to the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a really good presentation and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was funny when he got upset that we were paying attention to him and not sketching in our sketchbooks, I had never had that happen before.

    ReplyDelete
  20. intresting presentation, I like the way the challenge was presented and it took me a while to see a peice in a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw the goat so clearly in my texture sketch it was bewildering. It was like the pepper I used was speaking to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what would happen if you used really hot pepper?!

      Delete
  22. I enjoyed the presentation thoroughly. I liked how we had to create sketches based on texture with the help of different objects such as a wooden plank. I also liked his sketches and how he had documented them in an organized fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this challenge really challenged me to look at the piece in a different light, but after some time I began to see different things from this work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome challenge. I enjoyed his talk since he was so passionate about the art. It was cool to use things that I wouldn't think about using to make something look like art! Loved how he said we should just do something and our art will appear naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed Mr. Dunlavey's presentation on his thoughts about art and creativity. His sketchbooks were fascinating and I loved how many mediums he used, including using actual raindrops as a technique! He inspired me to be more care-free about my sketches and to experiment by practicing different techniques as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved how Mr. Dunlavey's presentation was completely unscripted, he was able to captivate the audience with his humor and personality. He was also able to provide some great insight into art while providing life lessons at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really enjoyed this challenge and really liked Mr.Dunlavey's Presentation and art work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed this challenge. It's very interesting to see how other objects and art can emerge out of such basic objects.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Unfortunately I had to miss Mr.Dunlavey's presentation, but I heard that it was very enjoyable and I will try to reenact his sketch at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was only able to attend this presentation for a brief amount of time, but I thought Dunlavey had an interesting approach to sketching. I really enjoyed hearing about when/where and how he sketched. I liked the idea of sketching in the rain; it was an interesting thing to do. He was right in saying that the rain will not hurt him, but it may enhance the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Was unfortunately unable to make the presentation tonight. From what i heard, mr. Dunleav was a very interesting man with lots of creative inspiration. Wish I could have attended his seminar, instead did the sketch from my room!

    ReplyDelete
  32. A very interesting man. I wish that he had more time to talk to the group tonight. There is obviously a lesson to be learned from this in the aspect of art, but I regret not asking the question, "what lessons can be learned from this and applied in the broader context of our lives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew. I wish I had more time too.
      Many life lessons learned from activities like making Art or playing Sports are trite and true:
      1. don't wait for inspiration to begin work. Be working already when you get that new idea or insight.
      2. Always go past the first big idea to the second, third, fourth, etc.
      3. Be patient with yourself and don't try to make masterpieces (you will fail).
      4. Limitations are good. I use lots of different materials but in any given work, I try to limit my resources.
      5. Nothing is off-limits: ideas, quality, materials.
      6. If you can't be free making Art what's the purpose of Living?
      --I'm sure you can think of more :)

      Delete
  33. I had a great time tonight at the presentation. His sketches were amazing and truly made me want to continue my sketching past the 30 day challenge

    ReplyDelete
  34. This activity was really fun! One of my friend Miti asked me what I saw in her scribbled background, and I saw a peacock, she then altered it and added colour, and the sketch came out to be pretty creative. I loved the speaker's work and was intrigued by the number of mediums and textures he used. My drawing was nothing great, just random colouring with cardboard beneath the paper and salt on the paper. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shruti, and thanks to Miti for the sharing. I mention it above. I had the wrong name at first, but I have corrected that!!

      Delete
  35. I enjoyed the presentation. I enjoyed his thoughts upon how perfect does not exist. I enjoyed how he said he drew the same thing so muhc (the Swan) that now he draws it even when he dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I enjoyed this a lot presentation a lot. I had no idea what i was going to draw at first but I just let the pencil do the work and I ended up coming out with a angry looking clown. The eyes of the clown came out really cool and I think it is some of my best sketches so far.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved his presentation! His personality completely grabbed my attention and I really enjoyed all the spontaneity of it. I just let my line move throughout the page and my final product was pretty cool i think!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really loved his presentation and the way he described his approach to sketching. He was very positive in the sense that he was able to show how things like rain or weather can help your page and not hurt you. I liked the way he had an organic approach to doing everything. Even when he was doing his activity it was very go with the flow and see how this will happen and what will come from it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. His presentation had lots of energy, I thought he did well even though it seemed that he was rushed. His sketches were really interesting with all the different materials he uses. It was a fun event and my sketches came out well, he really brought creativity to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Could not make the presentation but heard it was very interesting and the sketches my classmates made were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for all your wonderful feedback. Happy doodling. Many of the world's greatest inventions, artworks and buildings started out as doodles on a napkin!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I asked you about this in class today so apologize for this post being late. I really enjoyed the fact that we had a starting point. I did not have to choose where to start, but instead worked with something that was a texture of something else.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I enjoyed this presentation and what I got out of it is to be more free with my work. Sometimes having control actually hinders your sketches. During the session I let everything go and tried to make whatever came to my mind. When we were working with textures I saw a bird emerge in mine, it felt as if the bird was going through a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I didn't like this challenge because I'm more like Judy, methodical in my sketches. The randomness of this activity was slightly unsettling for me

    ReplyDelete
  45. I really enjoyed the presentation. His artwork was amazing. I can't believe he drew some of his sketches in 5 minutes! My favorite part was when he mentioned that he was upset because nobody was drawing during his presentation. I had to leave for night class but I would have liked to see how he used the ink cartridge and other things he had brought to create a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This sketch was really neat! I began drawing a picture of a landscape that was in front of me and worked really quickly. I looked down and I saw a lion, so I decided to start drawing that instead.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I put a couple of plastic knives and traced out the shapes and eventually came up with two hot dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  48. The presentation was really cool- you can tell just by his way of presenting that he strongly believes that art is free and liberating.. not every drawing is a mini masterpiece

    ReplyDelete
  49. THis sketch was very fun and I pulled out all my creative tricks for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Unfortunately I had to leave this presentation early so I missed out on seeing his sketches and how he creates what he does. I could tell from the beginning that he was a very different artist than Judith Moffat and I thought it was interesting to see the drastic changes in their personalities. He was not as organized and his work was more free flowing .

    ReplyDelete
  51. I felt it was a lot of fun and it allowed us to use our creative mind to keep going and draw something amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I really enjoyed his presentation and appreciated his perspective on things. That along with the task he had us preform helped me to take a step back and notice things from other perspectives other than my own.

    ReplyDelete
  53. this was a great challenge . i thought it was very unique and interesting

    ReplyDelete
  54. Unfortunately due to my practice schedule, I wasn't able to attend the presentation. But, I did hear that he was a very interesting presenter which I can tell by today's challenge

    ReplyDelete
  55. Although I was unable to attend because of athletics, I did enjoy this challenge because I was able to create a rhino out of a water bottle just by imagining something different from what I drew.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I enjoyed the presentation. He was a very interesting man and when he told us to start drawing while he was talking, I think I came up with my best sketch yet. For this challenge I started off with a T.V. After taking a step back and looking at it I figured that it looked like a pool and just went with it.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I liked this challenge. I thought it was cool how I could look at a blob of textured color on my page and then see it in another form and make it into an object.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I missed the presentation so this challenge was more difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I really liked the presentation. It was very organic and interesting. It is really amazing how he could do something so amazing in only 5 minutes. This presentation definitely inspired me to sketch more.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Since I missed the presentation my best option was to draw a sketch of an object close to me and I decided to draw my Playstation 4 game console. I enjoyed the challenge because even though it wasn't an accurate drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  62. This was a pretty hilarious activity for me, I ended up drawing a tissue box from my perspective at my desk. I stood up and looked all different ways at it and wasn't seeing anything. Eventually I saw the tissue box as a robot's head and thus R2-Kleenex was born!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I found his technique to be very interesting because it was much different than anything I have attempted in art before. It was so simple and yet created a really cool finished picture

    ReplyDelete
  64. I as unable to attend his presentation, due to a class at the same time. I plan on doing the alternative assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I did not see the presentation so it was a little difficult for me to do, but overall it was a interesting challenge

    ReplyDelete
  66. i did not see the presentation, but i understood the challenge! it was very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  67. For this activity I drew a TV that was directly in front of me. Then I asked my friend Justin what it was and he thought it was a computer. And then I made it look like a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I liked this challenge since it was fun to find more meaning to a simple symbol on your page.

    ReplyDelete
  69. I started with a loosely drawn square, with another square inside of it and added a few circles. It looks like an old fashioned cell phone or tv clicker. Neat!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.