Taking a Cue from our Fellow Sketchers
 |
| Abby's narrative summarized |
 |
| Miti experiments with perspective drawing |
 |
| Lauren's dialogue |
 |
| Christine's narrative |
 |
| Sandra's narrative in images |
 |
| Megi's mandala |
 |
Andrew's directions!
|
Starting to plan for our next steps . . . .
Let's go back to Challenge #25 for a moment. In that challenge, you had an Open Sketch, a chance to sketch anything you wished, and then in the blog commentary, you described what you chose to sketch.
There are two parts to today's sketch:
Part #1: Look at the comments under Challenge #25. Choose a sketch that someone else did as his/her open sketch, and complete THAT as your challenge for today. Adapt as you see fit--using a different medium, etc. But try to maintain the spirit of the sketch completed by your colleague. See if you can connect to his/her thoughts and goals as you craft yours in the process of "stealing" the idea and making it your own.
Part #2: Now, start to think about how you would map out 5-10 sketches that you would do after this sketchbook challenge is over. What sketches would you want to do, for challenges 31-40? In the blog commentary section, write out what you intend to establish as your goal for the next 5-10 sketches.
- Do you plan to work in a style more consistent with Judith Moffat; for instance, journaling and sketching about an event, moment or travel?
- Would you chose to focus on a specific thing (pointy people or crystal cities) like Rob Dunlavey and play with that style or thing until you have exhausted it?
- Would you focus on observed things?
- Would you steal someone else's idea from the challenges that have been posted and try taking it in a different direction?
- Would you play with a medium, like the vine charcoal you are receiving? water color? collage?
- Would you reward yourself with a new medium and allow yourself to play with it?
- Would you experiment with styles only touched on--I will introduce you to image transfers in a concluding sketch, might you play with that idea?
- Would you further a narrative or start a new one?
- Would you expand your artistic vocabulary and try another style--working with perspective drawing, for instance, as Miti begins to do above?
- Would you work to imitate a school of artistic style you admire to see what you can gain from practicing the movement of line and the play of color?
- Would you toss it all into the air and start from scratch?
Whatever it is you decide to do, formulate 5-10 sketches that you would continue (ideally, daily). Consider this a tribute to this habit you have formed.
I decided to paint a landscape with watercolors after reading some comments of what other people did after reading challenge #25. My next 5 challenges after this are going to be working on creating mandalas and landscapes. I really like the water colors so I want to work with those more and explore all the possibilities. I am going to paint my favorite place at the beach, the sunset over my house and a few mandalas. I am excited to still doodle and sketch everyday even after this sketchbook challenge.
ReplyDeleteI also followed the suggestion of a watercolor of my backyard. This is not from memory, just from gesture and feeling. The hardest part of this was an uneasy feeling like Professor Hasseler wrote about yesterday with the medium. I am by no means (yet) a painter and as I finished the work, I had plenty of suggestions (I tried to keep these kind and gentle) for what I would do the next time. My challenges in the future.
ReplyDelete1-To look at some cave paintings and think about what imagery I would post and how I would figure how to make that mark on the wall so it would last.
2-To see how I might make logos/icons for some concepts I use in sociology and ask students to do this as well.
3-To see how I could do some animation by using paper cutouts and filming these in sequence.
4-To play more with Matisse inspired ideas using cutouts to tell a story.
5-To return to watercolor, using my favorite beach photographs as inspiration to see how I can translate those images to paper.
I could go on!
What do I have to do to convince this computer that I am not a robot? Doesn't artistic expression alone qualify as human?
Sandra
As I looked through the comments from Challenge 26 I saw a lot of people talking about Mandals, so I decided to try and create another one myself.
ReplyDeleteAs I scanned the comments some people were drawing their favorite things or places they spend most of their time, I decided to draw my favorite soccer team because that portrays where I spend most of my time(at practice) and what I love to do. For my next 5 challenges I think I am going to work with the pastels we just received in class, I am curious to know what the texture and design will look like.
ReplyDeleteLooking at all of the comments, many people used the free challenge just to doodle and work with line. So, i thought I would follow that and just played with different lines and patterns, similar to a zentangle sort of style. I haven't been feeling well so this was a nice relaxing challenge for me. For my next 5-10 sketches after the challenge I have a lot of ideas! Here are some of them:
ReplyDelete1. I love working with acrylics so I definitely want to do a bunch with those. I prefer them over the guache because of the consistency. So, I want to paint a landscape (I love the fall colors!)
2. I want to paint a still life since I love working with value!
3. I also want to do a graphite pencil still life sketch because they have so much detail and just look so interesting!
4. I want to work with pastels more because I love the effects they give with such soft textures.
5. I also want to get more into printmaking. In high school we would make our own stamps in art class and I always loved taking my time with the carving and laying out the ink.
6. I want to work more with words as well, and different types of fonts!
7. Another fun sketch would be to do a regular self portrait. It is always interesting to see how you look on paper vs. in real life to others and yourself.
There will be more ideas that will happen to pop in my head, that I know for sure, this is just a start!
As I scrolled through the comments of challenge #25 I chose to draw a flower. I used the pastels that we received in class which were a lot of fun to work with! After the 30 day sketchbook challenge is completed, I would like to continue creating my daily sketches. For the first 5 I would choose to: 1.) Sketch any object that I see during the day and re-create it using different mediums 2.) Sketch a scenery at night or day time 3.) Sketch an object or person that I miss and write little sayings or draw doodles that remind me of it 4.) Sketch something non-existent or a fairy tale themed sketch 5.) Sketch a character or the theme of my favorite TV show These are just some ideas to get me to continue...
ReplyDeleteI decided to follow the idea of creating a scene of what I would do all day if homework didn't exist. I played with the pastels we got today. I have a lot of ideas for my sketches but here are some ideas for my next 5-10:
ReplyDelete1) "starbursts" across my page in pastels
2) play with how the pastels can be pressed onto a page opposite the picture making a reflection
3) do a mandala in a medium other than colored pencil
4) play around with the charcoal once we get it
5) try tracing and then filling it in with different mediums
6) play around to see how guash/watercolor/pastels interact on a page together
7) try to fill the page more abstractly using a specific medium and colors to get a specific feeling across
8) try doing a journal entry of something important happening but add pictures with it
9) attempt to do a landscape scene using interesting mediums so that it doesn't look exactly how the landscape should
Looking through the comments of challenge #25, I really wanted to take someone else's ideas and use the new pastels that we received today in class. A lot of mandalas were done that day, so I decided to use the new medium to work on one of those.
ReplyDeleteI chose to draw a cartoon version of my dog, Bruno and took this idea from someone else in challenge #25 who drew a cartoon giraffe. I really loved drawing this because I love my dog and he had to make it into my sketchbook. For the next 5-10 sketches after the challenge I plan on working on drawing things that are meaningful to me, I will definitely take a Judith Moffat approach, and work on sketching what I see such as landscapes or whatever I find interesting.
ReplyDeleteI already knew what I wanted to draw because I saw my friend's sketch for challenge #25. So I decided to do that sketch. It was quite easy. For the next 5-10 sketches I would just sketch whatever I feel when I have nothing doing. I have enjoyed sketching and wish to continue.
ReplyDeleteAfter looking through the comments on challenge #25, I decided to draw another mandala and color it in with the pastels we got today. It was very relaxing, yet messy. However, I love how it came out and how I got to create a mandala using yet another medium.
ReplyDeleteAlso, here are some tasks I wish to complete once our 30 days are up.
1. Work with another narrative.
2. Sketch and write about things I see/experience throughout the day.
3. Record quotes/lyrics every once in a while and add color to the page.
4. Write more poetry.
5. Experiment with pastels.
6. Explore creating more colors with gouache.
7. Do more doodling/ create more zentangles.
8. Use multiple mediums at once.
And much more!
For this challenge, after looking back onto all the different peoples challenges I decided to create a flower. I used the pastels in class because I was so interested to see the texture of these!
ReplyDeleteFor the next 10 days I plan to focus on a mix of the two artists art. I want to plan out and construct some based on images I've seen and then others with no directions just drawing.
After reading all of the comments on Challenge #25, I decided to create a zentangle. In order to challenge myself, I chose to paint the zentangle using watercolors. For 5-10 more sketches, I would definitely work with pastels to create different landscapes.
ReplyDeleteI chose to do a water color turtle for the first part of this challenge. For future challenges I want to do more detailed pieces and work with the new materials.
ReplyDeleteI chose to work on a floral pattern with pastels we were given in class today. In the future, I want to stick with the lettering I love doing, but add more pictures to enhance the meaning behind them instead of just creating a typical watercolor background
ReplyDeleteAs I looked through the comments, I decided to stick with a more object/landscape approach using the pastels. I really loved how Dunlavey set up his sketchbook. He made sure that every page wasn't perfect and just sketched objects the scenes that surrounded him using different types of materials. When I continue the sketchbook challenge after the given dates, I am going to stick to Dunlavey's approach and draw different objects or scenes that surround me. I am mostly going to be using the pastels that we received in class but I will also explore with different materials alongside with the pastels such as cut and paste, colored pencils, watercolors and the gouache paints. I want to aim for a quick sketch rather than something that has been taking me awhile to produce.
ReplyDeleteAs I looked through the comments I decided to draw a flower, but I wanted to use the pastels that we got in class today. Looking ahead to my next few sketches I think that I am going to do more doodling across then page and of my favorite places. I think I will focus on more of what I see because that really helps to relax me and gets me to focus on something outside of reality. I hope to continue to work with different mediums ranging from a regular pencil to the pastels, and even occasionally working with paint. I think it will be a different experience trying to do this daily without a prompt.
ReplyDeleteSome ideas for the additional 5-10 sketches...
ReplyDelete1.) Take out your sketchbook at exactly 7pm and draw what you see.
2.) Use pastels to sketch your favorite outdoor scenery on campus
3.) Use watercolor to sketch you favorite outdoor scene on campus
(I want to take advantage of the last few nice days!)
4.) Using any medium, create an image with an intended message tied to it such as the street art we were shown in class
5.) Using any medium, draw Tupper doing something funny, something a dog wouldn't normally do
6.) Take the symbol of the Bryant globe and make it your own
7.) Experiment with mixing pastels, watercolor, and gouache (sounds messy but fun)
8.) Try to create a zentangle using only watercolor (Sounds tricky!)
I decided to create an elephant today! I drew a giraffe last time so I figured I would stick with the same kind of theme! My next five challenges I would like to continue would be: landscape, drawing something that reflects on your day, drawing important things in your life through symbols, graffiti art, and since I like to draw cartoons I would want to do work with animating objects.
ReplyDeleteA lot of people did mandalas and such so I drew a mandala. For future sketches i really want to just focus on sketching something I remember or whatever pops in my head.
ReplyDeleteI like Rob Dunlavey's practice of taking a few simple ideas and experimenting with variations and permutations in different media. For my community narrative, I want to represent how these formerly vacant lots in my neighborhood are transformed into gardens, and how this creates a ripple effect in the community. I also like experimenting with maps since they are so geometric and abstract. It's a good way to play with color and form.
ReplyDeleteFor the first part of the challenge, I decided to create a zentangle with markers since one person had used sharpie pen. I tried to connect what came to mind onto the paper!
ReplyDeleteFor the next 5-10 sketches after the sketchbook challenge is over, I would want to work in a style that has to do with doodling and sketching about a moment. I would try to play with the vine charcoal a bit, but mostly stick to one medium to doodle with. I don’t think I would further a narrative or start a new one, but rather have a doodle be a snippet of a moment of my day or a snapshot of something I saw. I would also like to play with color but also sometimes use just a black pen with the white paper. I hope to first draw what is around me at that moment, use watercolor to create a serene scene that I enjoy most, use the charcoal to create an abstract drawing of my surroundings, black pen to draw a mandala of what I was feeling, and to use markers to create another mandala with inspiration from the day’s weather.
I used the pastels that we were given in class today. I finished a picture of a sun I saw in someones sketch. The pastels gave the sketch a new texture and different ways to mix the colors.
ReplyDeleteI love the concept of drawing a flower, so I amplified it and decided to draw a small garden of my own creations. I loved having fun with this quirky combination of colors and shapes. Creating a list of future challenges was a bit difficult, but I figure that there are a lot of things I want to try, so I should just jump in!
ReplyDelete1. Tell a Halloween story through visual images (no words!). Create characters or creepers that fit the end of October mood.
2. Practice figure drawing. Do some research on how to structure a body, and how to and detail to give it a unique look.
3. Pick an object or animal and draw it over and over on the page. Use different colors, pressure, brush strokes, etc. Experiment with how the object changes and develops after repetition.
4. Listen to an instrumental song, and draw/paint what you feel. I did this once as a very young child, and I distinctly remember feeling that my jumble of lines and colors was something very beautiful. I tried to make it a continuous line and I was the only one in the class who did that; other people had drawn trees or flags or people, but there I was with a scramble of chaotic lines. I was proud of it then, why not give it another shot?
5. Choose an emotion or feeling; paint it.
I would respond to different songs that I like. I typically listen to music during my down time. I'd probably pick songs from different decades and different genres. Responding to music is something that I do naturally and each song has a different meaning so that would probably cover the 5-10 sketches. Maybe throw in a couple of scenes from books and movies that I love too. As far as choosing a medium, I figure each scene/song is different, so I would use paint for more abstract emotions that emerge from how I respond and maybe colored pencils or just a regular fat tipped pencil for other responses.
ReplyDeleteI decided to "steal" the idea of drawing flowers in bright colors. I used the new pastels to experiment with this. If I could continue the sketchbook challenge, I would use Ms. Moffat as my inspiration and sketch events in my life. Since this is a daily challenge, I would sit down every night before bed and sketch my favorite part of the day. I took a graphic design class last semester and we were assigned to take a picture each day of something we thought was beautiful. It really made me aware of my surroundings and see the beauty in ordinary things. Also, I like the idea of a sketchbook as a photo album, where you can look back and see all of your favorite memories brought to life.
ReplyDeleteI chose to draw a pizza box from one of the posts in challenge 25. For the next 5 challenges I would choose to do a more structured approach like Judith Moffat. When I was in Italy I journaled every day about the events I did and places I went. 1. I would journal my day 2. I would experiment with the new mediums received and do a drawing of something around me with pastels. 3. use the pastels to draw my symbol 4. collage pictures of different pumpkins around my neighborhood 5. draw a sunset using pastels.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading through the comments of challenge 25, I would like to take a mandala and create images of things that are important to me within the piece.
ReplyDeleteI chose to draw a flower for this piece. I used the new pastels and really loved working with them even though they are a little messy. If i were to continue these challenges I would like to continue making more mandalas and also collaging. I don't think I would want to focus on only drawing a moment because I've realized that I do better with an actual visual rather than something from memory.
ReplyDeleteIt's weird to sketch when I don't feel that well. The colors don't seem as bright and I'm even more critical of each piece. It was weird to draw someone elses sketch. I kept thinking "Well maybe they'd do it like this" or "I bet theres looked so much better" or "I definitely messed up their vision here". In the end, I realized I felt like I couldn't really claim the sketch as my own because even though it had my spin, it wasn't my original vision. It's interesting that I felt this way, and I'm still asking myself "Why I feel this way". In the future, I'm thinking about doing something similar to Judith Moffat's way. I like sketching and blogging about events. I feel like it would be a really amazing way to remember events and even better to show my own kids and kids of kids one day. I'd also like to add in collaging into my sketches. I don't want to limit myself to just my own drawings but post in there maybe article pieces, leaves, scraps, etc.
ReplyDeleteI drew an apple computer because it sounded like a fun image to draw in color pencil. My next five sketches would be a rainbow in pastel, a self-portrait, a collage with a focal image in the middle, placing random things throughout my day and zentangle.
ReplyDeleteI choose to draw an elephant for this piece because going through the comments of what everyone drew for challenge #25 that one really stood out and caught my eye. For the next 5 sketches I really want to work with the pastels we received in class today and also still work with the gouache.
ReplyDelete1. Zen tangle
2. Graffiti
3. 3D image
4. object with a shadow so practicing shadows
5. just a random sketch as to what is on my mind at that moment when I pick up my sketchbook
Rather than mapping out exactly what my goal is for my next 5-10 sketches I rather sketch the emotions and feelings or things that I experience each day. When the speakers came, they definitely did not know what they would draw the next day considering their sketches consisted of the activities they did that day, creating a day to day diary. Today I had SO much fun with pastels that i am actually interesting in working with them beyond this project. So I am committing to using pastels for all of these activities and drawing how I feel, my activities that day, or just drawing whatever makes me happy.
ReplyDeleteI decided to draw a mandala. A number of people did that for Challenge #25 and it reminded me how much I enjoyed creating the mandalas. As for my next 5 challenges I would do the following:
ReplyDelete1. Try again at zentangles
2. Try to sketch my favorite famous painting
3. Ask a classmate for a sketch idea
4. Landscape sketch using pastels
5. Draw a still life with the charcoal pencils
After reading previous comments, I have decided that I want to focus on creating landscapes and drawing flowers. I also really enjoyed how Mr. Dunlavey approaches his sketches of landscape drawings and want to try to incorporate his technique into how I draw my landscapes. I like to experiment with different mediums, so for these next challenges I think that I will try to use the pastels that we have just received.
ReplyDeleteI decided to draw a flower using water colors, I also worked a little with the pastels we received in class today. I discovered that when mixing pastels with a drop of water the color that comes out is really nice so I ended up using this mix in my flower.
ReplyDeleteFor my next challenges I will like to practice more my mandalas and collages. I will also like to draw things more modern like the style, Pop Art and also playing with shadows in my drawings.
I worked with Andrew's theme: "What I would love to be able to do all day if homework didn't exist." He drew a beautiful view of the New England Patriots smashing the Chicago Bears from the comfort of his bed. I, on the other hand, drew myself tucked in my comfy bed during a winter day, watching Netflix with my roommate/best friend.
ReplyDeleteAnd for the other 5 sketched, instead of trying everything, I thought I would explore the medium of Pastels that we got in class today. I tried them for the first time today and they really seemed so cool and I feel like there's a lot you can do with. Thus, for my next few sketches, I will use pastels and just experiment this new medium.
For this challenge, I took the idea of painting a water color of my backyard back home. It was nice to get some time to think about home and challenging to have to picture the exact landscape of it while I wasn't there.
ReplyDeleteFor the next 5 sketches, I think I'm going to try to focus on getting better at painting landscapes. This challenge inspired me to do so, I really like painting places but I'm not great at it. I think I will work primarily with different paints.
For my next 10 challenges I have mapped out the following for myself.
ReplyDelete1. Create an expression piece based on emotion using a mix of media.
2. Blind counter an object other than myself.
3. Think of my favorite place and express that in color rather than objects.
4. Chose a word that has relevancy into my life show how that does.
5. Split page into two parts draw worst part of my day and best part of my day
6. Create a texture piece of a landscape.
7. Draw in different hues of a color of an object that typically has many colors. See how this changes the image.
8. Paint in water colors an entire page of the ocean.
9. Cut paper art of my favorite animal
10. Create a timeline of future plans.
For the 10 challenges after we finish as a class i will try to increase my skills on drawing people. Each day i will pick a different body part and focus on trying to draw at least 10 on the page whether it be a hand or a nose or an eye.
ReplyDeleteContinuing my work after the sketchbook change, I plan to work with pastels more often. I plan to add more scenery to my sketchbook now that fall is here and many colors have changed. Snow will fall soon as well and I think that a snowy scenery will turn out well with the pastels.
ReplyDeleteFor future sketches I want to continue to work with cut paper art along with adding a paint element to the same piece to see what kind of art I end up with. I also like the idea of sketching about things close to us, that we love, so that would also be how I would expand my sketching
ReplyDeleteI most identified with Mr. Dunlavey's sketching style. I appreciate the spontaneity in selection of subject and medium. I truly work best when trying to achieve a fresh goal in a way that I feel is the most enjoyable. If i had to plan, I would follow the random, sketch what inspires with what inspires method.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI decided to use the pastels that we just received in class to try something new .
ReplyDeleteI used my pastels do a rendition of a nice idea the day before. After using the pastels in class i had to use them even more going forward.
ReplyDeleteFor this challenge, I decided to use Abigail Armstrong's idea and sketch my favorite animal, a sea otter! For this sketch, I used the new pastels to get a feel for them and I really enjoyed it! For the next few sketch I would do once this challenge is over, I would definitely pick:
ReplyDelete1) Create a page from a children's book you read growing up and illustrate it
2) Create the same page but this time illustrate it using Moffat's cutting technique
3) Illustrate your favorite saying
4) Illustrate your favorite song
5) Use water colors to draw the exact place you wish you were in the exact moment you're reading this
6) Draw a huge eye, and color in the iris with your favorite memories
7) Write a Haiku about your day and illustrate it
8) Draw the first thing you saw when you woke up this morning.
For this challenge, I used Sante's idea with a mountain range. I included a sunset in the background of the range. After the challenge is over, I would like to work with mixing guache colors and scumbling with colored pencils.
ReplyDeleteI decided to work with lines for this challenge and see what I could create! For my next 5-10 sketches I would draw landscapes just like Mr. Dunlavey. I also really enjoy the challenges in which we got to make collages. I really also liked working with the guache and I plan on using it in more of my sketches. I will most likely also be creating things like mandalas and zentangles.
ReplyDeleteI would like to experiment with more colored pencils for my future sketches, and I used patterns and shapes to create my piece. I am interested in trying out some more zentangles and recreating things in life that I find most relaxing.
ReplyDeleteSince I have become very fond of drawing Mandalas after Judith Mofatt's presentation I decided it won't hurt to draw another one. I enjoyed this challenge because drawing mandalas is something I have become used to.
ReplyDeleteThis challenge was kind of tough because we we going off of someone else's idea, but once i found a challenge that i could easily relate to i just went with that one. After this i would like to learn how to become really good with scumbling
ReplyDeleteAfter looking through the comments from challenge #25, I decided to use someone's idea of creating a flower. It was difficult to try to capture the original sketcher's ideas and feelings because I liked putting my own creative spin on it.
ReplyDeleteFor the next couple sketches I would like to:
1. A mandala using watercolors
2. A landscape in only values of white and black
3. A drawing using more than one medium
4. An object and its shadow using charcoal
5. A drawing that allows me to explore pastels more
I decided to do the abstract challenge that a fellow classmate had done. It was very relaxing because I just painted whatever I felt. My goals for the next couple of challenges was to push myself
ReplyDelete1. I would love to do a mini dream board.
2. I want to work more with the pastels.
3. Work more on going with the flow; less structure.
4. Learn more about using color pencils properly.
5. Work more with my symbol to take it a step further.
I really liked this. This was fun because we were able to take someone elses work and tie it into our own interpretations.
ReplyDeleteI plan using pastels after the sketchbook challenge because it was very fun for me and feel as though I could get better with some practice!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI chose to use pastels to draw sea turtles that was mentioned on challenge 25. I plan to take more time on my last sketches and to really focus on it more and more
DeleteAs I read through the comments on challenge 25 I decided to draw an elephant because it is something I had never tried before. For the next 5-10 sketches I would consider:
ReplyDelete1. Improving my attempt to create graffiti
2. Making an ink drawing
3. Draw an eye with water color
4. Work with more textures
5. Collage the page based on a topic using different mediums
6. Attempt to create something with pastels
Some idea's for the additional challenges:
ReplyDelete1. using only a pencil
2. draw something at a specific time everyday
3. using nature to come up with a sketch
4. Color pencil based challenge
5. challenge using sharpies
6. another narrative
For this sketch, I used Justin BRickman's idea and drew a strong body builder because I thought it was funny.
ReplyDeleteLooking back at the submissions to the 'pick your own' challenge there were a few I was considering. I chose to change Charles' Darth Vader submission to a the Darth Vader from Spaceballs. I used charcoal and it was tough getting different shades of black.
ReplyDeleteI would
1. draw an observation of an object
2. play with a medium like charcoal
3. avoid narratives
4. draw from others' ideas
5. imitate Dali
From the comments from the past challenge I decided to do a flower with pastels. Some ideas that I would do for my sketchbook are:
ReplyDelete1. another zen-tangle
2. Draw what you dream to become
3. create a scene from one of your favorite dreams
4. Create a mandala using pastels
5. Use more gauche
comments from the past i did a flower with pastel mandala
ReplyDelete1 Mandala
2 Zentangle
3 scetch your favorite place
4 Scetch your best memory
5 scetch something from nature
In this challenge, I decided to draw an elephant because they are my mother's favorite animal, and someone else had drawn one! For the next 5-10 challenges, I would focus on self reflecting through artwork. Start with freshman in highschool, and prgessivly build through the years until college graduate.
ReplyDelete